Sam Baker

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Re: Sam Baker

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:22 am

Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 played the title track from Sam's forthcoming CD 'Cotton' on Saturday night.

Awesome!

Bob Harris publishes a playlist beforehand on his website so I knew that it was going to be on at just before 1.00am and it sure was well worth waiting up for :P

It is possible to listen again to the show for seven days after broadcast and I think that the 'listen again' facility works for overseas listeners so if you want to check it out go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ and scroll down to Bob Harris Saturday and click on the 'Latest Show' and it's on at about 1hr 50 mins in, you can fast forward to it.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am

Bill Waugh, special contributor to The Oklahoman, snapped this picture of me and Sam at WoodyFest! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:53 pm

I hope Jela got the same photo opp!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Mr. Baker was all over her. ;-)

KarenZ
Patti wrote:I hope Jela got the same photo opp!!
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:31 am

Mr. Baker was all over her.

If that's the case then it's a mutual admiration society - I love Sam Baker :oops: In fact I must have 'Sam Baker' written across my forehead as on Thursday I was sitting in the Brick St cafe enjoying the show, writing up notes as I was listening to the music, and the guy next to me started up a conversation asking if I was with a newspaper; we chatted about Randy Crouch (who was on stage at the time) and then he asked if I liked Sam Baker???? Of all the people that he could have chosen to mention, he mentioned Sam to me - is that spooky or what???

Best of all I only have until 1st September to wait until I see Sam again....he starts a UK tour that day, in London and I'll be there :lol:

Jela

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtAKS3uX0U

According to the person who posted it on YT, this song was written by Ellis Paul and Sam Baker, backstage at the Blue Door in Oklahoma City. This video is a performance of the song the night it was written and after the audience had left. It features Ellis Paul, Monica Taylor, Sam Baker, Chris O'Brien and Don Conescenti.

Is it on the new album?

Good to be back :D

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Herve,
Hi - nice to see you on here. This song 'Dragonfly' is on Ellis' new album but not on Sam's - wasn't sure which one of the two you were asking about.

Ellis sang it at WoodyFest and Monica Taylor accompanied him - it is such a beautiful gentle song - love it!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:40 am

Sam's new CD Cotton is slated for an August release but in the meantime you can hear two of the songs 'Cotton' and 'Signs' on his MySpace page

There are also a couple of videos from WoodyFest on You Tube

Odessa

Slots

Enjoy!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 am

The latest issue of Maverick magazine carries a feature called 'On Tour' and Sam Baker is one ofthe artists included - I just love this quote from the article...

He has long, unruly, below shoulder length hair, set around a strong, square jawed, age lined, fascinating old/young face. His hair is grey and lies where it falls, like he could care less for his looks, and maybe he couldn't, but he seems to have effortlessly perfected how to look windswept, worn, troubled, romantic, handsome, interesting, dangerous.

Sums him up perfectly! (Karen, I just know you'll appreciate this description!)

His new CD Cotton is a stunner! Another one that just gets under your skin. Wonderful, wonderful writing and beautifully arranged.

Roll on 1st September when he starts his UK tour.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am

Folkwax review just in....

Avid readers may have noticed that I am a major fan of Sam Baker. I love him as singer/songwriter, and I love him as a friend. Not that I see Sam too often. I think it's been two years now since Crystal Beach, Texas, but there's always a spark.

Sam has a warm, charismatic personality. He's bright and soft spoken, and his biography would please any Hollywood scriptwriter. Two decades ago in 1986 Sam got in the middle of somebody else's war. The guerillas of the Sendero Luminoso, a Maoist group calling itself the Shining Path, blew up the train he was traveling on to Cuzco in Peru. Amongst the victims were a German couple and their son who were sitting next to Baker: "Forget his eyes, his silhouette? Of course I don't, of course I don't forget. There are blue eyes, a silhouette. There is a debt, a debt I don't forget."

The blast threw his life completely upside down. Sam nearly bled to death, barely survived an assortment of serious injuries and still today is suffering from the after effects of shrapnel in his leg, brain damage and gangrene. His hearing is thoroughly damaged, and the loudest thing he hears is the Tinnitus ringing in his head. Before he hoists himself on stage he has to wind rubber bands around the fingers of his right hand in order to be able to pick his chords.

"These broken fingers, some things don't heal/ I can't wake up from a dream when the dream is real..." The brain damage Sam endured wiped major parts from his head's dictionary. Strangely enough, that may have influenced his idiom and his writing in such a constructive way that getting reacquainted with the English language and its fine nuances, Sam did become the beautiful tunesmith that we know through and from his first two albums Mercy and Pretty World.

Both CDs are beautiful albums filled with precious "miniatures." His new album Cotton has a lot more variety, more instrumentation and is more produced. Tim Lorsch, longtime cohort of Texan Walt Wilkins, signed for the production and arranging and did play all of the beautiful string sections. There's a lot of unexpected little gems like nice chorals and little symphonettas. And, as with the previous albums, this one is beautifully packaged as a little black and white poetry book.

I've played the album at least fifty times, and I have tried in vain to find the words to sing praise. I can't even describe why I like it, but I really, really do. I thus have even more empathy for Sam's loss of idiom, but other than repeating his lines, my brain doesn't cough up novel sentences in search for songs of praise. It's embarrassing. Why am I touched by such a simple song as "Moon?" Is it the almost children's rhyme-like minimalism? "Who knows what to say, or what to do? The sun so red, the sky so blue. Sun so red, sky so blue. She could not say I love you."

Is it the timbre of Sam's voice? The emotion embedded in the smallness of the tune? Sam paints little black and white soundscapes. He depicts scenes that seem without direction or clue but that leave a feel of yearning in your soul, a kind of aloneliness. "There's snow upon the ocean, snow upon the land. Talk about forgiveness. Help me understand why I hold on tight. Do not let go. I walk these streets frozen in snow."

His handicaps changed his phrasing and his punctuation, turned his vocals into a trademark kinda sing-saying. It's almost like juggling and jig-sawing sentences from out of nowhere. "Snow is deep/ the road is long/so far from home." It sounds almost too simple until those words come out of Sam's mouth. The piano interlude "Say The Right Words" enhances, without a word being said, that "infinitive tristesse."

I can't believe that for the first time in 45 years of writing I have to quote from a press release, the press release that describes Cotton as the final installment of a trilogy. It states that "Mercy" was written as a single piece of art, attempting to make sense of sudden death and the lottery quality of shrapnel, the death of some and the survival of others while "Pretty World" explores gratitude, obligation, and beauty.

It describes Cotton as the most difficult piece of the trilogy, where the cost of forgiveness is weighed against the cost of not forgiving. And it attributes to Sam a unique voice with an uncommon story. And quotes Sam saying: "Life is beautiful, difficult, terrible, and transcendent. Each of us is part and parcel of one great community, one great pretty world that reaches back to a time before recall and reaches forward beyond imagination. We are love. We are hope. We are stories."

With this unsatisfying review I may not have been able to convince you to buy Sam's albums, but I hope that at least you're curious enough now to check 'em out! Satisfaction guaranteed.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 pm

That's an interesting approach to a CD review and although the writer says that he is struggling to do justice to Cotton I think that he's summed up Sam Baker's work very well indeed. Sometimes you can't explain why a piece of music moves you, it just does and there isn't any point in analysing further - just accept the fact that what you are hearing is special to you and enjoy it for its ability to move you in the way that it does.

Thanks Paddy for posting this gem of a review.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Songwriters whittle away at lyrics til the song works, often leaving out just enough in a "less is more" way that makes the song say just what the artist wants it to say to it's intended audience.

Suppose the same applies for most of the arts!

I love the fact the FolkWax writer here can't quite put it in words. That alone speaks volumes more than trying to attach any made up adjectives to describe it. I walk away from the piece with the feeling of "try it, you just might like it, every bit as much as I do" and if you don't, fine, but if you do, bingo."
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:05 am

Sam Baker's 13 date UK tour kicked off last night in London and this is more or less the review I posted on Bob Harris' website:

The Luminaire 1/09/09
Absolutely amazing show last night to a packed house at The Luminaire. Accompanied by Tim Lorsch on violin and mandolin, they took the stage straight from coming in from recording a session for the Bob Harris show. Said what a great interviewer Bob is.

Played two sets, was on stage for about 2hrs in total and played 24 songs! Wow! I didn't make any notes during the performance so whilst I think I've got the whole set list down, it's not in order:

Palestine I/Signs/Mennonite/Angel Hair/Snow/Change/Iron/Slots/Pretty World/Sweetly Undone/Juarez/Odessa/Kitchen/Waves/Baseball/Psychic/Broken Fingers/Steel/Pony/Boxes/Orphan/Truale/You are my Sunshine/Safely to arrive at home

I'd never heard him do Steel before (and I've been to a few concerts, this was my 19th full Sam Baker show). He said that in the US he doesn't play Broken Fingers and has never played that and Steel in the same show so we were privileged to hear those. Broken Fingers in particular got a long and heartfelt ovation from the crowd.

To lighten things up at one stage during the second set, he broke into 'You are my Sunshine' only to realise that it also had some really sad lines in it.

The final song 'Safely to arrive at home' as I call it is based on an old hymn/traditional tune and I don't know the correct title. That and 'Truale' were the encore songs with 'Truale' ending as an accapella audience sing along.

He mentioned that Ellis Paul (another of my heroes) has recorded 'Change' on his new CD as a medley with 'Walking After Midnight' I've heard it in concert and it's great on the CD too.

Rapport on stage between Sam and Tim is so good, funny man/fall guy and Sam banters away with the crowd so one moment you're crying with laughter and the next with sadness because the songs are so moving.

Wonderful, wonderful evening. Woof!

Richard and I had just the best time and it was the best ever Sam show that we have seen even if we did get heckled throughout the evening - I ought to learn a lesson and hide at the back in future!

We are going to a few more shows whilst he's over here so we are really looking forward to those too.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:03 am

Jela,

You poor thing! ;-)

KarenZ
Richard and I had just the best time and it was the best ever Sam show that we have seen even if we did get heckled throughout the evening - I ought to learn a lesson and hide at the back in future!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:59 pm

It's all done in good heart so no worries. Second show for us last night at Buckingham which was an overnight stay. Here's most of the review I posted on Bob Harris, after someone posting to say that a set list was on its way from West Sussex i. e. me!

West Sussex reporting in with set list from last night's show at the Radcliffe Centre, Buckingham. I did actually write it down this time so it is in the right order.
First set:
1. Baseball (with Tim Lorsch on octave violin = V)
2. Palestine I (with Tim Lorsch on mandolin = M)
3. Mennonite (M)
4. Boxes (V)
5. Pretty World (V)
6. Not Another Mary (V)
7. Orphan (M)

Second set:
8. Juarez (V)
9. Angel Hair (V)
10. Sweetly Undone (V)
11. Migrants (M)
12. Waves (V)
13. Change (V)
14. Iron (M)
15. Broken Fingers (V)
16. Angels (V)
17. Safely to arrive at home? (V)

Have to endorse what the others have said, lovely venue with high ceiling and the sound filled the room beautifully especially Tim's octave violin. Atmosphere very different from the Luminaire show earlier in the week but Mr Baker delivered another absolutely wonderful evening of music and storytelling.

Must also highlight 'Migrants' - I've only heard him sing it once before and despite pleas to play it again it wasn't performed again until the show in Leicester's Musician on Thursday (if my info is correct) so last night was only it's third ever performance and what a moving and powerful song it is. Based on a true story of 14 migrants who died in the desert and the newspaper report of their deaths was a paltry 12 lines on the back pages among the shoe ads. As Paul Kemp says it alludes to Guthrie's 'Deportee' and it's final verse is from Guthrie's lyrics. Sam is thinking of recording it using Joel Guzman on accordion and putting it out as a one off.

Really enjoyed Krista Detor's support set and looking forward to seeing her in 2010. 'Clock of the World' is one of my favourites from 'Darwin'

The 'Migrants' song is one that I first heard at WoodyFest 2007 (wish I had a tape of it!) and despite requesting it more than once, and Austin based friends have also requested it, he hasn't played it again until this week.

Our friend Arthur Wood was also at last night's show so it was great to catch up with him.

Another wonderful evening. Next up tomorrow night at a venue only 5 miles from home!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:40 am

Went to another show last night, only 5 miles from home and this is pretty much what I posted about it:

Acoustic Sussex, Ravenswood, Sharpthorne 7/9/09

Another very good sized crowd for Sam's show last night, we were with a friend who was seeing him for the first time - what an experience that is!

Set list:
1. Baseball
2. Palestine I
3. Mennonite
4. Not Another Mary
5. Pretty World
6. Boxes
7. Orphan - he brought the two Hailey Sisters (tonight's support) up on stage to sing 'Sweet Chariot' I don't think that it was rehearsed, but it was lovely to hear their two voices recreating the CD version, with Sam and Tim. A nice way to end the first set.

8. Juarez
9. Angel Hair
10. Iron
11. Sweetly Undone
12. Thursday
13. Waves
14. Cotton
15. Broken Fingers
16. Angels
17.'Safely to arrive at home' ??

A particular highlight for me was hearing 'Cotton' live for the first time - Tim's mandolin solo was just stunning.

Lots were buying the new CD and Sam is happy to spend time with people during the break as well as after the show, chatting and signing the CDs. He is just so receptive to his audience.

Only one more show for us on the current tour - next Monday. This tour is a roaring success with really good sized crowds everywhere and CDs just flying off the merch table. British audiences just love him and he returns that appreciation in spades, responding to requests (even though some songs are really hard to do) and spending time with everyone who wants to chat with him.

No doubt that he will be back again and again!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 am

Jela,

You lucky DAWG. Sounds like an absolutely fabulous weekend of shows. :)

Regarding Krista Detor.....the duet that she does with Randall Williams called "I will come for you" is one of the most poignant songs I've ever heard. (I posted about it here previously.)

I hope you got an extra Sam Baker Hug for me. I suspect you did. ;-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:39 am

Hugs and kisses Karen! :wink:

Thanks for the reminder about the Krista Detour duet - I do remember you posting that song. As she is a new name I'm not familiar with her work, apart from the recent 'Darwin' song project.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

Last night at The Loft, Maidstone was the final date of the UK tour and our fourth and last Sam Baker show, at a venue we hadn't been to before (about 1hr 10 min drive). Capacity is 60 seating and about 30/40 standing and it was pretty much full.

With Tim Lorsch on violin and mandolin, the pair treated us all to another wonderful evening of music. Played two sets and came out and chatted with the crowd during the interval as well as after the show which ran over the 11pm curfew by about 15 minutes. They could run over all night as far as I am concerned! Tim's playing really does add so much to the mix and it was lovely to hear songs from the new CD sung live throughout the tour.

First set:
1. Baseball
2. Palestine I
3. Mennonite
4. Not Another Mary
5. Pretty World
6. Boxes
7. Orphan (for this, support act Madison Violet joined them on stage for 'Sweet Chariot')

Second set:
8. Juarez
9. Cotton
10. Sweetly Undone
11. Migrants
12. Odessa
13. Waves
14. Truale (request from a guy called Steve? who met Sam in a bar (!) back in 2005 in Fort Worth and they had some sort of friendly altercation with an amplifier???)

Encore:
15. Angels

We have had a ball at all the shows and he can't come back soon enough as far as we Brits are concerned! We won't have to wait too long either as Jan/Feb dates are in process of being booked. :)

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Some nice person who lives in England (I wonder who?) :) sent me an autographed copy of Sam's new Cotton which arrived in the mail on Saturday. You can imagine how thrilled I was to read what Sam wrote: "Karen, I love you. Sam".

Can I get a *swoon*????? :D

Got a chance to listen to the CD on the drive to work this morning. Sam's lyrics are so sparse but provide such imagery in their sparseness. Here's an example from "Mennonite":

"She was standing at the bar
Holding court
A push up bra for extra support
The boys fell like pigeons
Fell like leaves
Strong pale legs
Red boots to her knees."

So far, my favorite song is "Bridal Chest". Love the overall production and feel. I'll definitely be giving this new CD multiple listens.

I love Sam too. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Swoon away Karen!

Happy to oblige and so pleased that you like 'Cotton' - I knew you would. Another wonderful set of songs and for those of you living in and around Boston you must, must listen to 'Snow' if you get a chance. It is such a beautiful song about Boston and about a man being 'frozen' in the snow/'frozen' and not being able to move on in life.

It also just brings back wonderful memories of last New Year when we woke up on NY Eve to snow and it fell all day long so that we were walking home after Ellis' Passim shows in deep deep snow, in the freezing cold.....as we don't get that sort of extreme weather here, I was like a kid in a sweetshop, just loving tramping in the snow.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Jela,

Forgot to say that I heard "Signs" yesterday morning on WYEP's Sunday morning folk show.

I'll have to listen more closely to "Snow" - I only heard it one time and didn't catch the Boston references. :oops:

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

On the second time through Sam's new CD.....love the piano solo at the end of "snow".....and bawled at the beauty of the instrumental piano-based track ironically titled " say the right words".

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't think that I've ever come across a performer who has his ability, in a live setting, to move you to tears one moment and laughter the next.

A friend of a friend, mature guy, had to leave the concert hall because he was in tears listening to Sam's sad but beautiful songs. Others (i.e. men) have also been in tears at his shows.

So Karen I'm sure you are not the only one who's had a bawl listening to the CD.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Paddy - as you asked to see Richard's pix - here you go!

Sam Baker UK Tour Sept '09

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:45 pm

When Sam Baker was touring in the UK in September he recorded a session for Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 which is being broadcast tomorrow night. It will be on at about midnight our time so 7pm EST and you can listen live by going to BBC Radio 2 and clicking the 'listen live' facility.

I'll be staying up and listening in - couldn't miss that could I?

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:42 am

Ahead of the radio slot here is a video from a house concert in Austin last Saturday of Sam Baker singing 'Snow' which is on the new CD 'Cotton'

The song is set in Boston so this is specially for all you Boston based peeps - absolutely stunning!

Snow

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:58 am

Great session on last night's Bob Harris show - lasted about 50 minutes in total. Songs played live - Snow, Mennonite and Signs. Angels was played at the end of the session from the Mercy CD.

Sam's choice of music to play was Trapeze by Patty Griffin and Diamonds to Dust by Gurf Morlix.

Tim Lorsch was in the studio with him and also contributed very incisively.

Bob Harris is such a supporter of Sam's work, first playing him back in 2005 (that's where I first heard him) and they had an excellent rapport on the radio. Discussion started with Sam's horrific experience in Cuzco and how that has shaped the person he is today, his recovery, his approach to his art (writing, music, painting).........all in all an informative exchange. Didn't finish till 1.00am our time but so worth staying up for.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 am

My grandson was visiting :) ......so I wasn't able to listen in. :( Thanks for the report, though.

Jela, when I clicked on the "Snow" YouTube link that you posted in the previous post, it was actually the song "Pony". :? The YouTube poster didn't include the names of any songs, so it's difficult to find one particular one. Am I overlooking something?

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:44 pm

I've just clicked on the link I posted and it comes up with 'Snow' so I'm not sure why you are getting 'Pony'.

There are three different songs which have been posted at similar times from the House Concert - Snow, Pony and Psychic so if you try each one you should be able to hear 'Snow'

Good luck - let me know if you can't hear it.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm

We recently went to the Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow, Scotland and one of the four evening shows we attended was 'Texas Songwriters in the Round' which featured Tom Russell, Kimmie Rhodes, Slaid Cleaves and Sam Baker.

It was fabulous!

Richard took some photos, some of which you can see here

A friend of ours Naomi interviewed Sam for her website and you can see it here Sam Baker interview and if you click on the audio you can hear 'Truale' which she recorded at the show.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Here's the copy of my Celtic Connections review which was published in the April issue of Maverick. (It hit the shelves whilst we were in Texas).

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Finally had time to read the review of Celtic Connections. Jela, the Texas Songwriters in the Round sounds really special! Good for you and thanks for posting the article! :-)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 am

You are not authorised to download this attachment.

this is the only message I see.. ? this has happened before, but I forget how I fixed it. ( I am up way early this morning with a super headache ..)
will try to figure it out later

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 am

Patti,

That's the error message you get if you're not logged in. YOu can only see/open the attachment when logged in.

Hope your headache is better!

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Patti - hope that you managed to get it all to work for you.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Got it thanks.. Jela you have such a talent for mentioning details that makes the reader feel like they were there,or at least REALLY WISHED they were there :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Folks,

Terrific songwriters' song circle last night at the Club Cafe in Pittsburgh with Sam Baker, Natalia Zukerman, and 21-year old wunderkid from Okemah, OK, John Fullbright. Sam admitted that the three had played together for the first time only 90 minutes earlier. Natalia said by the end of their 10-day tour they would be like a well-oiled machine. :-) The sight of a van outside the door with Oklahoma plates was pretty surprising. Turns out John Fullbright drove from Oklahoma, although Sam flew from Austin and Natalia drove from New York. I've heard Sam and John perform at WoodyFest for the last several years. The first time John played at WoodyFest he was 16 and still in high school. I also got to hear him back in March in Norman, Oklahoma when he was one of 3 musicians who played at a benefit show for BeckyG. It was then that I picked up his Live at the Blue Door and I have been playing it almost exclusively ever since. I did not know that John plays piano, but he does. When Sam and Natalia took their turn, John accompanied on piano, but he did three of his five songs on guitar. Sam played guitar on his own songs and chimed in a tiny bit when the others had their turns. He added a bit of harmonica on Natalia's first song. Natalia played guitar when it was her turn, but played this little dobro(?) thing as accompaniment when it was Sam's or John's turn.

Another surprise was that Austin singer-songwriter Michael Fracasso was in the audience. (Michael is doing a house concert in Pittsburgh tomorrow night - I'm there.) Sam invited Michael to the stage for the encore number: Randy Newman's "Louisiana". What a treat. Hated that the evening came to a close much too quickly.

Loved Natalia, but I do not know her music, so I am guessing on song titles.

The setlist:

Sam - Baseball
Natalia - little bird on the wire
John - all the time in the world
Sam - slots
Natalia - gas station rose
John - the flower song
Sam - sweetly undone
Natalia - I would come undone
John - in my dreams (a brand new song)
Sam - isn't love grand
Natalia - silver cloud with a dark lining
John - new baby song (on piano)
Sam - waves (with new harmonica)
Natalia - Allen and Shirley
John - all that you know (on piano)
Encore:
Louisiana (Michael Fracasso on piano; Sam vocals on verses; Michael vocals on chorus; John on harmonica; Natalia on dobro)

Great night of music.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:43 am

So glad you posted a show report Karen - seems it was a wonderful musical evening. Michael Fracasso is highly underrated in my opinion and hope you had a good time at his house concert too.

I'm so pleased that Sam Baker is getting out on the road more in the US (we're spoilt in the UK as he tours annually and quite extensively here) and that more people can get to know his music.

If any other db'ers go to any of the shows, please post reports. If any of you are in two minds, don't think twice - just do it!

Natalia Zukerman is one of the Winterbloom quartet alongside Antje Duvekot, Meg Hutchinson and Anne Heaton.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:17 pm

I was SO close to seeing Sam Baker (and John and Natalia) last night in Harrisburg (only an hour away) until Mother Nature intervened with a storm that came out of nowhere with 70 mph winds, sideways rain, thunder, lightining, the works. A nearby condo was struck by lightning causing a fire that quickly spead to another. We lost power @3pm y'day and were relieved to have it come on @ 11am today.

But I digress.... :P

I was set to ask John to play Jimmy LaFave's "Movin" :D

Nice report, Karen, as usual! 8)
paddy

danaj

Postby danaj » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:07 am

So great to read the report of the show, Karen. Excellent, as usual! :)

I am lucky enough to have the chance to see John about as often as I wish. :) I've been a big fan since I heard him for the first time when he was out at the Grape Ranch during Woody Fest back when he was 16. I do wish that I had more chances to see Sam, though... He's another big favorite of mine.

Haven't heard Natalia yet, but will have to make a point to find her music and check it out.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 am

Here's an unrecorded song by Sam Baker Isn't Love Great, Isn't Love Grand

I heard him sing this song a couple of times back in March and it didn't then have a title. Monica Taylor is singing with him. So good to be able to listen to it on YouTube.

Love it!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 am

Sam Baker is doing a 15 date tour of the UK, last night's show which Richard and I attended, was the fourth date, in Maidstone, which is a little over an hour's drive for us.

We got there at about 6.30pm and noting that the doors weren't due to open until 7pm we parked the car and wandered off to get a drink. On our way, as we passed the venue, one we hadn't been to before so didn't know exactly where it was, we peeked through the windows to find that Sam and Don were doing a sound check. They beckoned us in and once they'd completed the sound check we sat chatting with them and their Tour Manager, Rebecca, until the show started at 8pm. We were also a little way through, joined by another music loving friend, Naomi.

Don is thinking of staying in the UK as he likes it so much here and is being treated beautifully by everyone!!!! That's ok by me, we'd keep him for sure!

I posted a review about the show on a BBC Radio 2 forum (Bob Harris' site - he first played Sam on the radio here after 'Mercy' was released)so for ease I'll just paste it in below:
My first Sam Baker show on the current tour but not the last! Accompanied by Don Conoscenti on guitar and lapsteel, he played two sets (no support act) and gave us the following songs:

1. Baseball
2. Slots
3. Mennonite
4. Moon
5. Just Dropped In (To see what condition my condition was in) a Mickey Newbury cover
6. Juarez
7. Isn't Love Great, Isn't Love Grand - a new song; a love story or 'lovey AND dovey' as he said. Some very funny lyrics in it, fishnets and leathers feature!
8. Orphan
9. Thursday
10. Pretty World

Second set

11. Angel Hair
12. Cotton
13. Boxes
14. Odessa
15. Snow - requested by a lady in the audience from Edmonton who said that it reminded her of being away from home. Don hadn't ever played this one before so he was put on the spot and did brilliantly!
16. Sweetly Undone
17. Waves
18. Broken Fingers
19. Angels

Sam said at times that his fingers weren't working properly but he played all the songs requested (a good part of the second set was requests) and together with Don Con, we the audience enjoyed the unique talent that is Sam Baker.

He talked about Bob Harris and how after picking up on 'Mercy' and getting such a positive response, it encouraged him to put out the second CD 'Pretty World' (and third 'Cotton' as well). Is forever grateful for Bob's support.

In between the songs, he is very funny and the second set in particular really saw the audience come back at him with quips. I wonder whether there were a lot of new people who perhaps didn't quite know what to expect from him and that's why the first set had a quieter response. The heartbreaking sadness of many of his songs is so completely at odds with his funny, warm and open character, so he takes you completely by surprise at your first live Sam Baker gig.

The tour continues. Do also check out Don Conoscenti's work at http://www.donconoscenti.com He is a wonderfully talented musician who deserves a much higher profile. Perhaps, Bob, you could spin a track or two of his on the radio - 'Beautiful Valley' or 'The Other Side' or 'Echo' or.....

Now, we were chatting before the show about what I call my 'lost in translation' moments i.e. the difference between UK English and US English and mentioned the discussion we had on this board some while ago about a roadie (Bill Deasy's?) walking on stage in a 'babydoll' which to me is a very short nightie and lo and behold Mr Baker starts riffing, on stage about baby dolls!!!

Also, most of you who know Sam and Don will not be in the least bit surprised when I tell you that they are having a competition (Rebecca included) as to who can get kissed the most on this tour! Well at the start of the evening the Kiss Count was Rebecca 5 Don 5 and Sam 1. At the end of the evening Sam was on 17 and Don was on 8 (don't know Rebecca's score) so I took the opportunity to even things up!!!

It was a hoot of an evening and it is fabulous to see them both over here and enjoying themselves so much!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

Oh, Jela. I am just smiling, smiling, smiling...... :-)

Thanks for the wonderful report!

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

sounds like a great time jela. i saw some pictures on facebook and sam cut his hair! it looks great, it was just a surprise to me.

as for kisses, don has an unfair advantage with the gravitational pull of his bald head. with the number of people who kiss the top of his head, i'm convinced there's a magnet in there. :mrgreen:

as extensive as the set list was, he didn't do my favorite.

things change. they change a lot!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks Babydoll! Isnt that a famous phrase used by someone in entertainment from the good ole days....anyway, thanks babydoll! :P

We had a break from the sport but now find ourselves back on the field as Fall Ball has begun again with several practices under our belt and even a few scrimmages (games that don't count in the standings). :wink:

I tell you this only to say that often is the case, and it's the case again, now, that I can't look out on that field at those boys and not have Sam Baker's song "Baseball" come pouring in from the far reaches of my mind. That's when I know a song has seeped into my very soul.

Great review of the show....kisses to all. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Last night was the final date on the UK tour, in London, and it was a great evening. My review:

Another wonderful show by Mr Baker and Mr Conoscenti at the Luminaire. The crowd here really 'get' him and it's great to hear the repartee between artists and audience. The fact that the venue is a standing one somehow seems to energise the crowd and having now seen him play here four years in a row, it invariably turns out to be one of the best shows on the tour, whether it be the first date or last, as it was last night.

They came on at 8.45pm and played until 11.40pm with one interval of approximately 20 minutes. Unless, Sam had been called to stop I think he'd have happily played all night long!

Before the show, he (and Don, the tour manager Rebecca and booking agent Bob) 'walked' the queue introducing himself to individuals and finding out their names, as one guy turned round and said to me' you don't get this at the O2' ....indeed you don't or many other places either!

Once inside the venue, at 8pm, he then spent virtually the whole time until he was on stage chatting to people and one person having asked for a signed show poster found that because none was available, he drew one for her.

Show time - said that he'd do a first long set and a shorter second set as he was aware that people had to leave before the end. Ended up doing a long first set and then an even longer second set. I didn't make any notes at all so although I know all the songs he played, they are not in order:

Moon/Pony/Iron/Truale/Migrants/Just Dropped in.../Snow/Mennonite/Angels/Broken Fingers/Angel Hair/Orphan/Waves/Juarez/Odessa/Baseball/Isn't Love Grand/Slots/Boxes

In addition he sang 'Happy Birthday' to an expectant mom who was seeing him for the first time. Also played a bit of 'I'll Fly Away' (a traditional song) with words adapted, for tour manager Rebecca, joking that she'd had enough after nearly three weeks on the road and had left the building!

Don also got to play one of his songs 'All In Time' from his 'Paradox of Grace' CD. This got a huge round of applause. As I've said before, he's such an accomplished musician, and it was such a generous gesture to give him the opportunity to showcase one of his songs.

Lots of special moments but highlights were:
A new arrangement of 'Migrants' which was topped and tailed by Don singing a verse from Guthrie's 'Deportee'
'Broken Fingers' - if the audience hadn't been standing already, this would have received a standing ovation, it got a prolonged round of applause.

First set finished with 'Migrants' and the evening finished with 'Angels' - a perfect ending.

After show he was still talking, chatting and hugging with everyone who wanted to catch him. A great end to this tour.

I should think that the pair of them will be on a high for a while as it really was a special evening. So very pleased that Don got to do one of his songs - his CDs were flying out the door after the show!

We are very fortunate that Sam tours annually so we get the chance to see him on our patch. No doubt he'll be back in 2011.

Jela

PS Paddy - I know that quote but cannot for the life of me remember the film? Help!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Jela,

No doubt you are still on a high today too! :-) Thanks so much for the wonderful reports and for letting us all live vicariously! :-) Turns out DonCon will be accompanying Mr. Paul in Oklahoma in a little more than two weeks....so I'll get to see them together then. Yippee! :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 pm

I know that Don has a very busy schedule, which is good and will also be playing with Sam at the Cactus very soon - would love to be there for that one!

Karen, you'll no doubt have as much fun on your OK trip to see Ellis and Don, we will be expecting full reports so that we can live vicariously!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Sam played at The Depot in Norman, OK this past Sunday night. This article appeared in the Norman Pop on Friday, Nov. 5, 2010. This link will take you to the front page of the Pop (where Sam is pictured), but the article about him appears on page 4.

Baker's reflective lyrics featured in Sunday concert by Claire Lee.

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”