Bill Deasy

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Re: Bill Deasy

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey all,

A chance to hear Bill Deasy live on the radio tonight.........airtime is 7:15-8:00pm - EST

Mr. Lee Show on wrct 88.3 fm
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:06 pm

I apologize to anyone who tried to stream the radio show tonight and could not get in.....I couldn't either! :oops:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Had a wonderful one two Bill Deasy fix over the holidays where we got to see Bill at his annual "Boxing Day" show at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh (where we caught up with old friends from Bill's forum and this one!) Always great to see the amazing KarenZ, who attended with a friend, another music person named Karen. Bill put on an amazing solo acoustic show for the fans all the while paying absolutely no mind to a preshow incident that had him taking the stage with one of the brokenest nails ever.... :shock:

After the show we strolled down Carson Street on Pittsburgh's South Side for a Bewley's at Starbucks where we were able to talk music and such with the aforementined two Karens. When I was unable to recount Ellis' song titled "The Day After Everything Changed" I was instantly serenaded by the self proclaimed "Folk Diva" herself and even offered the chance to listen to a live version of the song back at her car. Perhaps next time.....more music called. 8)

From Starbucks we went in search of St. Jame's Place, a bar well off Carson Street at 18th in search of a hot tip we received at Club Cafe that another guy we like named Dave Pahanish was playing a 10pm show. Took us awhile to find it, and almost wish we hadn't...with all the talking and smoking going on as the troubador did his best to be heard over and through it all. One thing's for sure, maybe two.

Dave Pahanish, originally from the Pittsburgh area and now in Nashville, Tenn., is some kind of gifted singer songwriter. We watched him play about an hour before the scene got to be too much for us. God that guy can sing and play a guitar. Have a CD or two of his but had never caught him live. Played several great covers that flat out impressed. A fan asked for an old favorite and Dave politely refused.

Back in Cleveland the next night in time to catch Bill Deasy open for local hero Michael Stanley and the Resonators. What a time that was!!! Bill took full advantage of the opportunity to play for the near filled House of Blues crowd who I'm certain mostly didn't know who Bill Deasy was prior to the show. Always fun watching Bill convert the previously unaware with his unique songs and stage presence. Michael Stanley has covered 2 of Bill's songs (Bound to Be and Blue Sky Song) so there was some excitement when the song popped up in Bill's amazing opening set.

The other thing I know for sure.....watching Dave Pahanish at that club in Pittsburgh, there's a lot to be said for the venues that host folks the likes of Ellis Paul and the rest of the bards we enjoy hearing out live. That they respect the art form; the artist and audience alike. It's good to see how the other side lives sometimes......if only for a choke filled hour once in a good while.

Have a year full of unexpected musical pleasures ya'll........

Happy and Healthy New Year, too!

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am

Your Home by Bill Deasy

"The Pennsylvania Turnpike was returning you to where you had begun
turn around, take a look at all you've found, here you are home, this is your home
smiling faces, old familiar places, of your home, this is your home, this is your home"

KDKA TV

Looks like I''ve got another roadtrip in store...... :D
Folks, if you have the chance, and are in the area on March 7th.

Here's show information:

March 7th, Club Cafe

The first full band show of the year will be at Club Cafe on Pittsburgh's historic South Side. ONE SHOW ONLY!!! Doors are at 6 and the show starts at 7 and since we'll be itching to play many many songs there will be no opener. Tickets go on sale this Saturday, January 24th, at 10 a.m. For more details check the tour dates page!!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Latest review of Bill Deasy's new record from across the pond. 8)

Ink19 Review by Andrew Ellis
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

Spring Lies Waiting is Bill Deasy's first solo record away from The Gathering Field.
It's where it all started for me and it's as good as folks who have it say.......
Once a year Bill celebrates the coming of spring with an annual Spring Lies Waiting concert.
Stripped down acoustic and joined by a few friends and players make for an often magical night.
This year's show is tomorrow night at Moondog's in Blawnox, Pa. (Pittsburgh) -- showtime is 730p.
Bullet train Philadelphia :arrow: Pittsburgh needs to be planned and built!

Spring Lies Waiting at CD Baby

**currently out of stock** 8)

not surprised! :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:46 am

I love Bill's SLW shows.....but Moondog's is farther to go than the usual Club Cafe destination.....and after having worked all day/week it's more than I can handle. tomorrow.... :(

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 am

Karen

I won't be able to make it either, dag nabbit. This one snuck up on me and the weekend's booked.

:(
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:18 am

Karen

Dave Brown of The GATHERING FIELD joined Bill for the Spring Lies Waiting show. 8)

So it goes..... :cry:

Bill is set to play a house concert in Cleveland Ohio this Saturday 4/11/09 at 730pm

For more info on the house concert click here
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 am

This Friday night in Pittsburgh at Altar bar in the strip district of Downtown, Pittsburgh......

Bill says:

Everybody over the age of 21 is required by law to attend the full band Altar show this Friday night. Doors are at 7:30, opener (the wonderful Jason Deutsch) hits at 8:30, and we will take the stage at 9:30!!! If you're not there you may well end up behind bars!

:mrgreen:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:26 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Bill Deasy returns to Steel City Coffee House on Saturday 5/23/09..... 8)
Steel City Coffee House
203 Bridge Street
(610) 933-4043 Phoenixville, PA $13/advance, $15/day of show SA Co-bill with Laura Shay. All ages.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm

On KDKA news in Pittsburgh tonight this story aired about a song written for the fallen....
in this case 3 Pittsburgh Police Officers slain in the line of duty. One of the officer's cousins, seen here in the clip, thought the outpouring of love and support shown for his and the other slain officer's family needed to be captured. He wrote down some words in an effort to do so. Bill Deasy added music and additional song lyrics. Here's the clip that aired on kdka tv tonight:

KDKA TV -- Song For the Fallen: "I'll Come To You"
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat May 23, 2009 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 22, 2009 4:01 pm

From Bill Deasy's website comes word about the new song honoring the fallen.

DVE will be spinning the song throughout the weekend -- starting today in the 4:00 hour. Listen for it and spread the word!!!!

Stream WDVE Pittsburgh to hear : "I'll Come To You"

update:

Just heard it for the first time and love it....the song is classic Bill Deasy Band rockin style!!!
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat May 23, 2009 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 pm

"I'll Come To You" now on Bill Deasy's myspace player

This was a way cool way to immortalize the emotion felt after losing a cousin and seeing the outpouring of love and support from family, friends, and community, in this case, the City of Pittsburgh and fellow brothers and sisters in blue from around the region and likely way beyond as well. The song was written by the cousin of one of the fallen police officers. He contacted Bill to try and capture the emotion in song.

Bill added some additional lyrics and set it to music. Then Bill and the band went into a studio and brought it to life.

I've just heard it for the 2nd time today, love it, and hope to see it released as a single someday. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 pm

I'll Come to You
words by Bill Garrison and Bill Deasy
music by Bill Deasy/Bill Deasy Band

I'll Come to You

Life sized Mother Mary
Watches from the yard
As he runs across the sidewalk
And jumps into his car
Darkness turns to daylight
His watch nearing its end
The peaceful morning shattered
By the senseless violence

Thru the smoke the fallen hero says:

I believe in what I'm doing
I believe in who I am
I signed up for this danger
And I'm proud to take my stand

I will not rest my brothers
And my sisters dressed in blue
I will stay on guard forever
Just call
I'll come to you
Yeah

Round the brothers and the sisters
The mothers and the dads
The children and the cousins and
The friends each of them had

The grieving city gathers
As hearts are opened wide
The streets washed clean by teardrops
The population cries

The heroes' words still echo through the skies:

I believe in what I'm doing
I believe in who I am
I signed up for this danger
And I'm proud to take my stand

I will not rest my brothers
I will stay on guard forever
Just call
I'll come to you

Just remember the words (I come for you)
To protect and to serve

And believe in what you're doing
No matter what you face
Stand your ground through danger
With courage, strength and grace

Do not rest my brothers
Stay on guard forever
When you call
I'll come to you
yeah
I'll come for you
yeah
I'll come to you
yeah
I'll come for you
yeah
I will come to you
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed May 27, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun May 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Turning 50's been more amazing than I ever thought possible. In relative good health and surprised regularly by a good many things, not the least of which is being in touch with artistry that allows me to reflect on nights like this.

Tix arrived (from my son) the morning of my 50th. By end of day I had a trip to Boston to see Ellis Paul aboard a "booze cruise" and Springsteen in DC. I looked forward to all 3 with the same anticipation. The Boss rocked Verizon Center. I knew that would happen and basked in that it was my wife's first full out ESB show with the crowd as vital as the players.

What I did not see coming was the chance encounters with BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN and the E STREET BAND back at our hotel after the concert and the next morning, too. I don't want to drop too many names in one post but California's Governor and Catherine Zeta Jones' husband strolled by as they made there way in and out of the hotel lobby next morning. I can't get on the hotel's laptop in the business center cuz Nils Lofgren is on it every time I check. Like, c'mon already Nils...lol.

This show made it all pale by comparison. Bill began and was in a mood to play new* songs. Not all the new ones, mind you. After the show I told Bill I loved the new* songs and I was hoping -- he knew I meant "I'll Come to You" and let me know he felt he wanted to debut the song at the Benefit on Monday. With that I left Steel City wishing I could make the Fallen Heroes Benefit at Station Square on Memorial Day.

Bill's amazing opening set:

Sweet Salvation*
To Reach You
Learning As I Go*
Sweet Thing (Van Morrison)
Almost Ain't Enough*
Being Normal* -- last verse written just before taking the SCC stage
Lost In America
Until I Get it Right -- Steel City ROCKED the CALL and RESPONSE singalong
Wish There Was a Way (w/Laura Shay)
Wishing Well (request)

Laura Shay Band next and did they ever deliver a set worthy of the packed house there to show the love. She brought players on and off with the addition of friends on Violin and Trumpet and a sister on tambourine. Bill delayed his return trip home to Pittsburgh long enough to join the band for Laura's last two. If Bill's set knocked some audience members out of their seats Laura's set had them dancing in and out of theirs. Near the end of the night Laura paused to say how touched she was that people were enjoying what to her is basically just her journal set to music and had to stop just short of tears at the thought. All I can say is that her journal rocks and is brought to life beautifully with her amazing voice and musicianship fronting what's known as the Laura Shay Band -- with friends around to help make the night an extra special one. One to remember, that's for sure.

Setlist:

What You Want
First To Fall
Please Don't
Whole
Sound of the Rain
Toronto
Over You
Fever
Sin
In Andy's Room
Across the Universe (Beatles)
Other Side of the World (w/Bill Deasy)
Falling Slowly (The Swell Season) (w/Bill Deasy)

Kudos to Steel City CoffeeHouse
Coffee and Music done right...
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 am

ABC News talking about the Pittsburgh Policemen killed after arriving on a domestic disturbance call.

Officer Shooting In Pittsburgh
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 28, 2009 12:17 am

WTAE Channel 4 in Pittsburgh covers the Fallen Not Forgotten Benefit Concert:

Bill Deasy Band performs "I'll Come To You" at the 1:11 mark.....
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 28, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks, Paddy. Believe it or not, I don't watch the local news, so the video (message and the music) was a real treat.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Bill Deasy Band will be at Thunderbird Cafe in Pittsburgh tomorrow night. The venue is perfect for rockin!!! :D

Thunderbird Cafe showtime is 9pm with bonus audio of Lost In America

Too cool! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:12 am

Bill Deasy & Rob James will play this coming Friday in support of Operation Walk Pittsburgh at Firehouse Lounge in the strip district.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:15 am

Gathering Field at Nick's Fat City ~ Pittsburgh ~ August 1996

Lost In America
Bound to Be
Bordertown
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:30 am

Latest news arrived over the weekend with talk of a 2nd novel with a fall release date for "Traveling Clothes" as well as an Erie date opening for Arlo Guthrie cancelled and instead opening for John Eddie at the Liberty Park outdoor series.....

Lots of new dates announced including Johnstown Folk Festival and talk of a few dates in Europe in the works.... 8)

"....all im saying is......good things are happening"
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm

The Gathering Field at Nick's Fat City in Aug 1996 ~ Are You An Angel

Born with blue eyes filled with pain
In March of 1922
Mystic fire in your veins
Mama's apron strangling you
Mama's apron strangling you
Mama's apron strangling...

Young Jack Kerouac running up and down the football track
Are you an angel now?
Strong Jack Kerouac, once you're gone you can't come back
Are you in pain still?

Walking New York City streets
High on benzedrine and wine
On the road and feeling beat yeah
Chasing kicks and running blind
Chasing kicks and running blind
Chasing kicks and running...

Wild Jack Kerouac talking in a beat up Cadillac
Are you an angel now?
Drunk Jack Kerouac, once you're gone you can't come back no
Are you in pain still?

On a red sun Sunday afternoon
I bet you felt the wind blow through your hair
I bet you knelt down in a summer field
And said a prayer
Oh I bet you said a prayer...

In '69 you found the prize
Bloated Buddha, belly up
Ecstasy your suicide
Sorrow filled your loving cup
Sorrow filled your loving cup
Sorrow filled your loving...

Sad Jack Kerouac, sitting down beside the Merrimac
Are you an angel now?
Drunk Jack Kerouac, once you're gone you can't come back now
Are you in pain still?
Fat Jack Kerouac, stumbling along the railroad track
Are you an angel now?
Dead Jack Kerouac, once you're gone you can't come back now
Are you an angel?
Are you an angel?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 am

Bill's facebook was hacked recently with some bad person acting as him saying he was held up at gunpoint in London and was stuck there without money or credit cards while his wife was off in Fiji or something like that.

Bill has asked fans to spread the word that that is bogus and he is fine and well and to disregard any attempts by anyone posing as him asking for money.

Word is he is vacationing with family in Outer Banks North Carolina. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:45 pm

In Bill Deasy news:

First of all, the rumors of Bill's death are greatly exaggerated. Actually, the rumor, initiated by somebody impersonating Bill on his hijacked Facebook page, was that Bill had been robbed at knifepoint and was in desperate need of money. Of course, this was completely untrue. Bill is sorry for any inconvenience this caused anybody and appreciates the outpouring of concern.

Now on to the important stuff.

The Sixth Annual Live By Request Show is Thursday, August 13th. Those of you who have attended this one-of-a-kind show - where audience members select each and every song on the set list - know it is NOT to be missed.

Later in the month, August 22nd to be exact, Bill returns to Johnstown, Pennsylvania for the Flood City Music Festival. That's a Saturday night and show time is 8:00.

Be sure and make plans to be at the next Pittsburgh FULL BAND SHOW Friday, September 4th at the Altar Bar on Penn Avenue. Bill and the boys will continue throwing exciting new material into the set (including "Traces of You" and "No One Try and Talk me Down" which were unveiled last month) and rock the roof off the place.

September also includes returns to Philadelphia, Cleveland, Altoona and Wexford. Check the TOUR DATES for all the juicy details.

In other news, Bill has been commissioned by the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum to write a series of non-fiction books about various aspects of the Pennsylvania Railroads illustrious history in our region . The first book, GG1 4913 - A Locomotive's Journey hits stores September 1st.

And don't forget, Bill's second novel. Traveling Clothes, will be coming this fall. Details forthcoming!

Last but not least, "Good Day No Rain" and "Chasing Down a Spark" are now available exclusively on iTunes! AND on the "Chasing Down a Spark" page you can find a LIVE version of "Wishing Well"!!

Oh...last last thing - the show tonight at the Liberty Park Amphitheater in Eriestarts at 6:30 and admission is FREE! Bill and Rob James of the Clarks will be doing the honors.

Thanks everybody. Enjoy the rest of the summer and see you at the next show!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:48 pm

paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Bill Deasy@ World Cafe Live 9/18

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:51 pm

We're looking forward to Bill Deasy's return to Philadelphia this coming Friday night (9/18) where Bill will headline World Cafe Live for the very first time!

Please join barb62 and husband mike, paddy and the missus inthepub, and brad and his sweetie as we join hopefully an entusiastic and packed room to welcome Bill back to the area..

He's playing solo acoustic, with Bill Toms opening. Tough night I know, with high school football taking up alot of folk's time. Send someone you know out or bring a friend or two along....

It's gonna rock! 8)

reports to follow..... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 pm

October News from Bill Deasy

Sitting in a coffee shop in Oakmont. WYEP pipes through the speakers...an old Bodeans song. I'm working on the second in a series of books I'm writing for the Altoona Railroaders Museum. This one deals with a famous wreck that occurred in 1947 involving a train called The Red Arrow. I'm wading through photographs and old newspaper articles and feeling a little like I'm traveling through time.

The first book, "GG1 4913 - A Locomotive's Journey," is available through the museum's web site. It tells the story of an amazing woman named Andrea Vibbert who, in a serious David-vs-Goliath battle, fought to keep a locomotive from being scrapped upon its retirement...and won! 4913 sits now, safe and sound, in the museum yard.

In the course of writing "A Locomotive's Journey" I learned all about that particular type of engine (electric - overhead pantograph - cooler than cool)...and also about the history of the Pennsylvania Railroad...and about Andrea, who was born in Long Island and now lives with her husband, Bob, in New Hampshire.

By the way - I'll be doing a promotional event for that book on Saturday, October 17th at the Logan Town Centre Barnes and Noble in Altoona from 1 to 4. And yes, there will be songs performed as well.

In more literary news, we're in the final stages of readying my second novel, "Traveling Clothes," for release by the end of October (we'll get out a little email blast with the specific date as soon as we know it!). Dan Finbar, the main character from Ransom Seaborn, plays a small role in this one.

Here's a little teaser blurb:

On a bitter January night twenty years ago, Beverly Moon disappeared from the home she shared with her husband and daughter in the idyllic river town of Fairmont, Pennsylvania. When present-day writer/bartender Will Jameson gets wind of the story he unwittingly returns it to the front page of the local newspaper and sets a maelstrom in motion that won't come to rest until not one, but two mysteries are unraveled.

The story is really a character study based on the old adage - you can't judge a book by its cover. And speaking of covers, Velluminous Press (the company that brought you Ransom) has come up with another killer:

The manuscript looks beautiful as well and we're all proud and excited to share it with the world.

SO SPREAD THE WORD!

Finally, all this non-musical writing has in no way diminished writing of the musical variety. The songs keep a' coming - as those who have been to recent shows can attest. Some fresh titles are "Being Normal," "Learning As I Go," "Traces of You," "Each and Every One," "Sweet Salvation," "Invisigirl," and "Whispered Words."

We break ground on a new record in mid-October and will be sure and let you know how that goes. I'm optimistic!

We're also thinking of putting out a tasty little interim release to tide you over in the meantime...more on that coming soon.

Guess that's it. Just wanted to give a general update on the stuff I'm doing. Have a good show this coming Friday, October 2nd, at the New Hazlett Theater. It's a songwriter in the round type thing hosted by Joe Grushecky and featuring myself, Scott Blasey, Rick Witkowski and Kelsey Friday.

Oh - also, my TJA friend Rich Jacques has a new record coming out (which includes 2 bill/rich songs) and will be performing at Club Ca fé on Saturday, October 24th. I'll be opening the show and sitting in with Rich on some stuff.

Next Pittsburgh full band show is Saturday, November 7th at the Thunderbird Café. Show time is 9:00. Chris Parker's band The City Dwelling Nature Seekers will open the festivities so be sure and get there early.

Finally, don't forget that Good Day No Rain and Chasing Down a Spark are now available (along with the rest of my full-length solo releases) on iTunes.

Thanks everybody. Happy Autumn!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Bill Deasy's second novel Traveling Clothes is out!!!

Traveling Clothes by Bill Deasy

a couple of 5 star reviews on amazon already!

Can hardly wait!

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 am

I'm hearing traces of Bill Deasy circa Gathering Field in a new song on the upcoming "Being Normal" release set for December 19 '09

Every Friday a new song up on myspace (24 hours only)
Traces of You
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Bill's new record Being Normal is out and it's amazing. Got my copy at the full band show at Moondog's on Friday ~ those guys rock big time!

A change of scenery at the website as the front page now let's one hear a song from the new record as well as complete lyrics.

I know I might be a bit biased being a fan and all, still, I think you'll love it, too. Patti and Annie, I have copies with your name, and Bill's, on them. I'll have them in the mail to ya soon.

Sweet Salvation from Being Normal

Cry Hope from Being Normal

An Essay on Being Normal by Bill Deasy

Full lyrics to the new CD Being Normal
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 am

Long, long time ago, I can still remember. Long before Bill took to the Burlap and Bean stage for the first time for this show I had a pretty good feeling he should and even better feeling that he would, someday. Back around the time we learned about Burlap and Bean, a diamond in the rough live music venue in the burbs of philly not far from Media Pa ~ where coincidentally Bill Deasy met Laura Shay for the first time in a triple bill we were lucky enough to attend. When Bill tells the story about meeting Laura there and guesstimates when that was ~ Laura smiles and offers the date ~ 07/07/07

We were lucky enough to have seen the debut of them singing together for the first time and lucky enough to be there Saturday night as Laura added sweet harmony vocal to Bill's entire set. I'm talkin sweeeeeeeeet ~ everybody needs some sweeet salvation ~ of this kind once in awhile. We got ours at Burlap and Bean on a weekend that was otherwise packed with life's committments so it was nice to take an evening away from it to venture out into the cool night for what promised to be a show to hang our musical hats on. All we had to do was show ~ and let shining stars align.

I could tell it was going to be a good one when I saw Bill minutes before he went on to open the show. It was in his eyes. I thought to myself, yes! Made my way back to our table near the stage to wait for it all to unfold. There's a Jackson Browne one two song punch on his second record, For Everyman, that begins at the end of Take It Easy and the start of Our Lady of the Well. I've long believed it to be one of the most amazing musical moments in the history of recorded music.

That those two songs played just before Bill Deasy took the stage at Burlap and Bean for the first time was either someone doing their homework or a sign from somewhere that this was not going to be just any old night at the Burlap and Bean. And it wasn't. The place was packed when soundman and emcee Kyle Schwarzfelder took the mic to remind folks they were a listening room and to silence phones and pagers. He talked about being surprised to learn, that day, that after being a fan of Gathering Field for almost 10 years, that Bill Deasy was the band's lead singer and songwriter.

In tribute to that small yet significant bit of information, Bill looked at Laura and said Bound to Be. Laura didn't flinch and so it began. You know, for all of us, and especially me, it was Bound to Be. From the minute I set foot in Burlap and Bean for the first time to see Chuck e Costa some 18 months ago, I said this is the place Bill Deasy should be playing in the greater Philadelphia area....play all the other venues too all the time but Bill has simply got to play here. Luckily Laura and Burlap and Bean are old friends and it was just a matter of time. I sent Burlap and Bean owner Tara Endicott a list of artists I'd love to see take the stage there a while back with Bill's name ridin high atop it hoping stars would align some day down the road.

All roads lead home ~ or in the case Saturday night ~ home away from home ~~~

Bill Deasy and Laura Shay

Bound to Be (an audible)
Being Normal
Sweet Salvation
Lost In America
Back There
No One Try and Talk Me Down
Each and Every One
Levi ~ with willy d
Learning as I Go
Wishing Well ~ request
Sweet Thing ~ a smiling Laine Walker on violin

Laura Shay with Dom Cole on acoustic guitar and Laine Walker on Violin

New Song
Anyway
You Can Never Say ~ with Bill Deasy
First to Fall ~ with Bill Deasy
In Andy's Room
Make Your Own Damn Rules
The Devil You Know
Bedroom Light
I Love My Hands
You Missed Out on Me
Who We Are ~ Bill Deasy
Raining in Baltimore ~ Counting Crows
Please Don't
Are You Happier Now?
Other Side of the World ~ with Bill Deasy
Neverland ~ encore

Just a song before I go, to whom it may concern ~ Laura was beyond amazing all night both singing with Bill and her full set that followed backed by the amazing Dominic Cole on acoustic guitar and Laine Walker on Violin. Her performance of original songs wowed the attentive and appreciative crowd and her covers of Bill's Who We Are and Counting Crows Raining in Baltimore were additional highlights to a night where you simply could not have been any where better. Both Bill and Laura mentioned the Being Normal cd release party at Altar Bar set for Dec 19 with the full band. Bill invited everyone at Burlap and Bean to take the drive down one the best drives in the country referencing of course the Pa Turnpike to Pittsburgh, adding that if anyone in the room made the trip to Altar Bar that the drinks were on him. Bill, you owe me a beer, dude! Laura added that she had space in her car for a few more and she's driving there anyway to sing background vocals in the band ~ Bill mentioned Laura sings on almost all the tracks on Being Normal, thanked her for singing with him his entire opening set, adding he didn't know many artists that would do that just before their own set. Bill was able to sit in the back and take in Laura's show, often taking the stage to return the bgvox favor. He mentioned during one of those times how nice it was to be able to catch one of Laura's full sets, a rare thing for him. Rare, indeed. These musicians were on, folks. Two things I'll close on, maybe three. The beautiful duet from the new record, Back There, performed live was just as beautiful live as it is on CD. The latter part of Sweet Thing jam that had Miss Laine Walker smiling to the groove in kind of a are you kidding me this IS cool kind of way ~ and Bill Deasy, in a town he hardly knows, in a place he often goes, to the source of it all, from the biways and highways, returning always home, to climb those stairs, back to his sweeeeeeeeeeeeet thing, with the interweaving of the road and the river and the sea and the journey that leads him on the road to being normal...and Home.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am

Paddy,

As a big Bill Deasy fan I must say that your show reports are fantastico. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 am

Do believe I'm gonna clap my hands
Think I might tap my feet
Put together a one man band
Take a walk on down the street
Have a one man parade
Nobody needs to know
'Cause I'm right good of holding on to secrets
And don't believe they show
All I want is a little dog
To be walking at my right hand
Taking a breeze just as free as you please
Maybe checking out occasional garbage cans
Talking bout a one dog, y'all
Nobody's friend but mine
Hey now, you can say he's looking kind of funky
But I do believe it suits me just fine
We were off road again
A was wondering what to do
Ah, but Honalei,
It was pouring down rain
Baby she had the low down blues
Hey now, I was looking for my walking cane
Tying on my highway shoes
Thinking 'bout a one man parade, y'all
Nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody
I'm right good at holding on, holding on, holding on
Honalei, it's raining
Honalei, (sure 'nuf) it's raining (listen here)
Honalei (it's rainin')
Honalei (muddy waters)
Talking 'bout a one man parade, y'all
Nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody
I'm right good at holding on, holding on, holding on
La, la, la

one man parade
by james taylor

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 am

Music forums rock!

Just in from a great show ( New York Songwriter Circle with Chuck E. Costa, Carsie Blanton, Michael Logen) at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa. ~ a place I hope to see all my faves play someday. :wink:

In time to find this posted by a fan (fan of EP, too) over at Bill's forum. It's a nice writeup by Regis Behe of The Pittsburgh Tribune Review and the cherry atop the treat is a video of Bill Deasy live in the studio performing Whispered Words, a song that got the Lyle Lovett Large Band treatment when it was laid down for Bill's new release, Being Normal.

Enjoy!

Pop-Rock Artist Bill Deasy Loosens Up on New Album
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Out with the old, in with the new ~ parting is such sweet sorrow ~ I could go on and on I guess, but I'll just leave it at that. It's with a heavy heart I bid fond farewell to the Bill Deasy discussion board at his old website as a new website has launched and the forum didn't survive.

The powers that be have decided Facebook's where it's at these days and at year's end the old forum will be a thing of the past. I'll miss it, that's a given. I've invited some friends from there here in hopes they will add a few cents to the buck fifty I've thrown down on the bar.

Happy New Year, Ya'll!!!

:D

I'm so glad you're here!

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am

Bill on the changing of the times...

Hi everybody...guess this is obvious, but we decided to leave this "live" a little longer - after making the announcement that it would be discontinued at the end of 2009.

I wanted to clarify where I was coming from in making this decision.

First of all, let me say that I check in here often...especially after shows. I like being reminded of what the set list was...and hearing people's thoughts and reactions. I also like answering questions and having some place to connect more directly with those listening to my music.

That said, I noticed over the past several months that the conversation had slowed to a trickle...a trend which really didn't change much with the release of both a new novel and a new CD. This observation coincided with us deciding to give the site a new look...streamlined and easy.

As I sat with Jason, the gracious and gifted architect of "the changes," we looked through the sites of many other artists and noticed that the majority did not have a forum. So rather than perpetuate what I sensed had become an insulated and somewhat sluggish discussion, I decided to make a change - and shift things in a way that would generate more energy and interest.

So that's how it happened. Whatever comes next, I'm hoping you will continue to voice your opinions about what I'm doing and that your voices will attract others. The initial thought is that we can relocate to my "Facebook" music page and see how that works.

I appreciate your patience and continued support and will miss this forum the same way you will. But maybe the change will do us good!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm

All I'm saying is Good Things are Happening
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am

"If you never, ever heard a single word I said, Run" ~ Jeff Black

gathering field reunion show nov 20 in pittsburgh
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 am

A song that Bill Deasy co-wrote with Odie Blackmon- "This Is My Day" - will be the theme song of the new sitcom "Working Class" (starring Melissa Peterman and Ed Asner) premiering on CMT on Friday, Jan. 28, 2011 at 8pmEST. You can hear two clips of the song (sung by Pittsburgher Maddi Georgi) at the link below:

Working Class clip

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 am

That is great for Bill... such a talented song writer/performer...

The clips from the show look funny. Rebe is in, so I imagine it will do well.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 am

The star of the show looks like a real character and the kind of woman that Americans could easily grow to love. It happened before with Roseanne and a host of other strong women. The behind the scenes clips I've seen from the set let me know Melissa Peterman lives and breathes funny. Hopefully it's a hit show that lives on and on and on. Can't wait to hear how the song get's used in the show. Oh, and Lou Grant!
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”