Eddie's Attic - Atlanta - Nov. 23, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Eddie's Attic - Atlanta - Nov. 23, 2007

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:45 am

Great show tonight in front of the SRO crowd at Eddie Owens place in Decatur, Ga. where I was "thankful" to find the last seat available, you guessed it, a stool at the bar. I couldn't have scripted it any better. :wink:

Setlist:

Summertime --- on piano
Holy Ghost? -- on piano
Maria's Beautiful Mess - folk lap dance intro -- :lol:
Jukebox on my Grave
Little Wood Guitar -- on a stool, GREAT new song 8) Classic Ellis Paul
Take All The Sky You Need --- request
3,000 Miles
History? -- audience suggestions on napkins for title
Million Chameleon March
Black Top Train -- unplugged
Home -- on piano
Speed Of Trees
Ballad of Chris McCandless -- wake up intro
World Ain't Slowin Down
Did Gallileo Pray?

Encore:
Night Hank Williams Came To Town - EP's favorite Johnny Cash song
Alice's Champagne Palace
Calendar Man -- :D written with DonCon in Okemah

By count my wife and I have been following Ellis the better part of 12 years and it's been on my list of things to do in life to see Ellis play here. Ellis spoke of playing Eddie's Attic for 15 years and how Kristian Bush, booking the acts for Eddie at the time, first took a liking to Ellis' music by way of a demo tape he pulled out of a box of countless others.

Ellis and Kristian will play before a SOLD OUT Eddie's Attic Sunday night.

Small wonder. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks Paddy - Wow! You got to hear Chris McCandless - that's one I've yet to hear played live..........maybe one of these days?????

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 am

Paddy,
I'm so glad you got to travel and go, especially since you had to leave that other show early when your son was sick. Thanks for the report...it looks like it was the wee hours of the night! Sometimes after a great show, it's hard to settle right away into bed, isn't it??? Sounds like it was terrific.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks for the report Paddy! Eddie's Attic is still on my list of venues that I've never visited :shock: so I hope to get there one day! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks everybody..yup, the hour was late and sleep near impossible. Trouble was the Hefeweisen was tasting so good and going down so smoothly since I was, afterall, celebrating a monumental, for me, Ellis Paul show.

There were a great number of audience suggestions making their way to the stage for an excellent and as yet titled new song. My vote, kept close to the vest all night, is this: "Nothing Left To Break" I swear Ellis should just leave it untitled, it's a fun part of the show hearing all the ideas.

After the guy up front was treated to a folk music lap dance, he looked up at Ellis and said shyly: "I usually sit in the back." Early on Ellis exponded about the holiday, asking why Thanksgiving with family is sometimes painful. He suggested it might be that the carving of the turkey and the carving of other's emotions might go hand in hand.

I'll close this by saying Eddie's is great, Ellis was too, and the new songs, especially Lil Wood Guitar and Holy Ghost? and Nothing Left to Break? had me thanking my lucky stars I could make this one.

Jela, yes, Ballad of Chris McCandless is a treat LIVE. There's a new intro that has Ellis singing "wake up, wake up, wake up" and "look up, look up, look up" before starting the song and it's just really, really cool. 8) How this song escaped the soundtrack for the movie I'll never understand.

I'll close this by saying to KarenZ and all others who have longed to see Ellis at Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga....."get there if you can." :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to a thread on Sugarland's message board. I hope the link works.

Ellis and Kristian at Eddie's Attic

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Karen - yes the link works - thanks.

I wonder if they sang 'Paper Dolls' it was only on Ellis' myspace for a short period but I loved the feel and sound of that song - I certainly hope it makes an appearance on the next CD that Ellis releases.

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm

I'll close this by saying to KarenZ and all others who have longed to see Ellis at Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga....."get there if you can." :wink:[/quote]

This was my first Ellis show....I remember it well, especially the standing room only part. As I was standing. I didn't mind at all. Had a great time!!

So, ya'll come on down to our neck of the woods anytime!!

Annie

Return to “3000 Miles”