Somerville Theater - Boston - Nov. 17, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Somerville Theater - Boston - Nov. 17, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Folks,

Who's going? I sure hope somebody will report back to all of us unlucky ones! :)

Karen
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:34 pm

I'll be there. I'll be missing my concert buddy Sue Ellen, but I'll try to represent well. Am bringing a friend of mine who is an Ellis newbie.

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:21 am

Where there's one Monica, you'll more than likely find two!!!! I'm not very good at keeping a set list, but I'll be sure to give a report!

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:37 am

I am so jealous of all of you. :( I will be out of town and have to miss this one.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:41 am

Sorry to hear that, Bonnie!

You'll be missed!

mm

Postby mm » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:22 pm

Monica R, I have about 2 or 3 photos of the two of us Monicas side by side...one of these days I should actually post them. I was JUST wondering whether I should bring along my camera to this show.

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Bring the camera!

We can grow old together in pictures, but not for a long time!

See ya tomorrow night!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Please take the camera and post the pix for all of us who can't make it to the show, to see.

Pretty please!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Have fun tonight everyone! :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:30 pm

I will be there tonight! I'll post the set list later.
Susan

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:02 am

I didn't want to turn in tonight without reporting that Ellis and compadres DonCon, Rad and Flynn put on an awesome show tonight. I've seen Ellis perform many, many times now over the last eight years in a wide variety of settings and this one stands out! He never fails to keep his show fresh for us. He plays "hot off the press" tunes so we can watch them evolve. He said that the second song he played was only a few weeks old. He plays stuff that's still developing. I heard him sing "Once Upon A Summertime" at Passim (I think!) some time ago and tonight it was just deeper and even more touching. And he (and his mates) diddle with oldies so, yes, we can sing "3,000 Miles" together...again! Or "Maria's Beautiful Mess!" What a great show!

Alone at the piano, rockin' out with the band the mix of tunes is always engaging!

Tonight's set was heavy with songs from "Dragonfly Races" and it was great fun! I think he's created a new category for the record bins, "Children's Contemporary." They're a blast and not condescending to kids like the pablum that passes for children's music. There was that drought of a few decades between Woody's "Put Your Finger in the Air" and...well....ummm....."Dragonfly Races!!!" My left calf starts cramping just thinking of Teletubbies tunes. Aaaarrgghhhh!

He instructed his most obedient audience to pull out their cell phones and turn them on. Then we waved them around in the dark to simulate fireflies as he sang "Dragonfly Races." Wicked cool! You all woulda loved it!

He also told us about a Christmas tune, "Little Wood Guitar" (I think it was the title.) that's now covered by Sugarland. I suspect you guys know about it but it was news to me. It was great!

One more thing: Nobody in any performing art I'm attending these days makes a greater effort to explicitly thank his fans, collectively and individually, for their support than Ellis. As he typically says, "Thanks for comin' out!" Ellis, "Thanks!" right back atcha!

See you folks New Year's Eve!

Jimmy Pollard

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:46 am

What a great way to start the morning! Thanks JimmyP! :D

And thanks to the dear friend who called me on her cell phone so I could listen-in to Ellis and friends doing "wabi sabi"! :D

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:25 am

Yes many thanks Jimmy for your report - how I wish I could've been there!

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:38 am

It WAS a wonderful show!!! Jimmy hit the vibe just right. Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion opened and were just great....what a nice team (and she's beautiful!). They later joined the guys on stage for harmonies on 3000 miles and for the final encore song, "This Land is Your Land", and believe me, Karen, it was not the version you sung in elementary school.

Great music all night. I loved Rad and Don Con and Flynn being there added a lot of spirit and extra guitar/piano flourish. Also, Flynn had his young son there, and he was adorable. Ellis was terrific and sounded great as always! I never take that for granted. His vocals are impeccable and the songs meaningful and well written, as ever. In the front row were two sign language interpreters who Ellis referenced a couple times...."you're not signing that, are you?" after saying a small swear onstage. Also, there was a lovely moment when he asked one of the interpreters how she signed the word Wabi-Sabi.

Super time all around, and so good to see Lyn, Susan, and Monica R.

monicar

Postby monicar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:31 pm

I second everyone's emotions. Beautiful night. As I said to my husband when I got home, great friends, great music ... it doesn't get much better than that.

I'd like to echo Jimmy a bit in that Ellis is THE most humble person I have ever encountered in my life. THANK YOU Ellis for doing what you do, doing it so well and sharing it with all of us. It so enriches my life!

Little Wood Guitar was AWESOME! I'd beg, borrow and steal to have that song playing in my house throughout the holidays!!! The new song on the piano was beautiful too!

I got the CD in the mail yesterday a.m. and listened to it a few times before I left for the show. I LOVE it. As I mentioned to Ellis, I told my husband we needed to have another baby so I'd have someone to dance around the house with. His reply was "can't you borrow one?"

Ella singing You Are my Sunshine was incredibly cute. Brought back memories of when my kids were that young. Enjoy these years, Ellis ... they go by entirely too fast!

Great to see Susan (who had pen and paper in hand), Lynne and Monica, and Jimmy P. ..... you da man!!!!

See ya'll on New Year's!

Monica R.

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Indeed it was an amazing show! here is the set list:

1)Summertime - solo at piano

2)brand new song, only a couple of weeks old - Holy Ghost (? guessing here) - solo at piano

3) Little Wood Guitar - first time ever played

4) Million Chameleon March

5)Alice's Champagne Palace - with Don and Rad

6) Maria's Beautiful Mess - with Don and Rad

7) Road Trip - with Flynn, Don and Rad

8) Because it's There - with Flynn, Don and Rad

9) Wabi Sabi - with Don and Rad

10) Dragonfly Races - with Don and Rad

11) The Bed Song - with Don and Rad

12) Take All the Sky You Need - with Don and Rad

13) Jukebox on My Grave - with Don and Rad

14) Black Top Train - with Flynn, Don and Rad

15) 3,000 Miles - with Don, Rad, Sara Lee and Johnny

16) World Ain't Slowing Down - with Don and Rad

17) Home - solo at Piano

18) This Land Was Made For You and Me - with Don, Rad, Sara Lee and Johnny

Really an amazing show, the only other thing I'll add, Monica mentioned about the signers doing the sign language interpretation...Ellis questioned how they signed Wabi Sabi, she told him she was really glad he described what it meant...beautiful, fragile and that was what she signed. He asked her to show everyone and he was so impressed...he said he's been trying to describe if for so long and she did it beautifully in two simple hand guestures.

Lots of fun, always good to see everybody!
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Thanks so much for the setlist Susan! Now I'm curious to see the wabi sabi hand guestures. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks y'all, for the vicarious peek in to the CD Release show. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:14 pm

I am very disappointed that none of the attendees have taken pity upon me and posted pictures. :cry:

Pleeeeeeeease. :D

mm

Postby mm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:55 pm

Oops...well, I got photos after the show in the lobby but my camera needs a flash for the concert shots until I get a different lens. However, a certain someone who has a camera similar to yours, Bonnie, had some very nice shots I believe. They hopefully will be posted soon, both of us!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:01 pm

I'll settle for lobby shots. That certain someone never seems to get around to uploading her pictures and I haven't found the time to go to her computer.
:P

mm

Postby mm » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 am

This weekend, I'll post the photos, promise....if I don't, Bonnie, you'll have to keep after me!!! There's a VERY nice one of four handsome musical types, though Ellis wasn't in that one.

Return to “3000 Miles”