Jonathan's Restaurant - Ogunquit, ME - Aug. 5, 2006

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Jela, We so wish you and Richard could be here! But hold tight.....only 5 months until Passim! :) We'll take lots of pictures. HEY! I just had a thought.....maybe I can get the girls to all wear baby-doll t-shirts. :lol:

Sue Ellen...I'm getting a little nervous. (I got my ticket too, btw!)....being from away I'm not sure if I like my clams "full-bellied". Do I dare ask what that means? :oops:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 pm

Hey - that's a great idea but if Bill Deasy's roadie can wear baby-dolls then I think the guys should too!!

Jela

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:11 pm

Ok, has anyone else noticed that we have now moved onto the third page??? Is that a new record?

Karen - full-bellied clams are best tried, and not described. Close your eyes, pop them in, and enjoy. Trust me - wait on the explanation until after you're in love with them. :mrgreen:

Jela, Richard, & Wendy - we will most definitely be raising our glasses in toast to you!

~L~

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Just ordered my ticket! Can't wait to meet you all......

I'll check out what I can about bonfires on the beach and let you know.
Peter

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Anybody know who's opening?

I do. :mrgreen:

Hee Hee. :lol:

Also, August 5th, Flynn will open for his close friend Ellis Paul in Oqunquit, ME at Jonathans. Show starts at 9PM.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 pm

I swear....I was just going to post a question for Ellis in the Clarity forum asking him if there was any chance he could bring Flynn with him to Ogunquit....to REALLY make Bonnie happy she decided to make the show! :lol:

Think and ye shall receive! :shock:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 pm

The trick is making sure Flynn knows it's not him I'm stalking. :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 pm

It's not stalking if you announce in advance where you'll be. :wink:

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:04 pm

You want me to stalk him for you? I'm open, if you want me to take the job.

:lol:

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Although it looks like Karen has a little more stealth.

SE
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 pm

Stalking was the wrong choice of words. :oops:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:30 pm

Was it, Bonnie? Was it really?

:mrgreen:

We could hit three birds with one stone: Ellis Paul show, first quasi-formal board reunion, AND stalkers annonymous meeting!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:39 pm

I know you're just teasing me, but it does feel awkard when I see the same artist 4 or 5 times in a month and they recognise me. If I feel anonymous I'm fine, but if it is someone I'd say "hi" to like Flynn or Matt Nathanson I feel like I need to explain.

"No need to worry about me. I'm not a stalker, just a dedicated music lover. No really. I see every band I like this often. You need the spelling of my last name for what? A restraining order? :shock: C'mon, 500 feet away at all times? "

:P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:22 am

Bonnie,
The coolest thing (figuratively and literally - it was 8am in Oklahoma which was probably the coolest time of day!) was meeting a group of ladies at WoodyFest who are BIG Jimmy Lafave fans. They were wearing matching blue t-shirts that read on the front "Jimmy Lafave - 7 nights out of 9". The back of the t-shirts had dates, venues, cities.....which were shows they had all gone to in the Northeast U.S.! The lady I was talking to was from Chicago! I told her she was an inspiration to me....and it gives me hope that I have a few good ep years left in me! :lol:

By the way....YOU were the one who first used the word "stalker". From now on, I suggest using "devotee". :wink:

KarenZ, ep devotee :)

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:27 am

My husband's term is "groupie".
Though that does make me feel a bit like a teenager. :shock:
(is that a bad thing?) :wink:
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:35 am

I hate the word "groupie" - too many negative connotations - which is why I started using "devotee" several years ago. Having said that however, IMHO there is nothing wrong with feeling like a teenager.....as long as you no longer act like one! :lol:

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:17 am

I hate the word "groupie", I was always fine with "fan". I might have to switch to "devotee" thanks to Karen. :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:22 am

Fan is OK...if you aren't reminded that it's a shortened version of "fanatic". :lol: Maybe we could shorten "devotee" and become devos. Oooohh...I think I like it. Not to be confused with divas of course. That wouldn't be us. ;)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:39 am

Yes, I'm with you: not fond of any of the normal terms.
Somehow "Ellis-head" just doesn't make it, either...
(though we just were at a concert populated by Haggis Heads! That was a fun show... if you like celtic fusion check out Enter the Haggis)

For now, Devotee has my vote. (and I will have to instruct my husband) :lol:
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:14 pm

I don't know.....maybe Lauren should revise our reservation for Jonathan's. Now I sorta have a hankering to be seated at a table with an "Ellis-heads" sign on it. ;)

Hee....hee...hee....

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:42 pm

Back in the day when Translucent Soul came out....and "take me down" hadn't yet been usurped by "Maria's Beautiful Mess" as the opening song.....I came up with an acronym that I thought made a great name for an EP Devotee group. It was SO DEEP....and it stood for Society of Devoted Enthusiasts of Ellis Paul. Can't you just see a t-shirt with SO DEEP on the front and on the back...Society of Devoted Enthusiasts of Ellis Paul at the top of a circle...and Deep as a Soul Can Go at the bottom of the circle....small and tastefully done, of course.... :)

I mean, if Jimmy Lafave fans can wear "Jimmy Lafave - 7 nights out of 9" on their chests, why can't we have SO DEEP on ours?

I still like it. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Karen, remind me never to play Tennis with any of you. You guys are hard to keep up with. :D

I like it :!:

Also one of my all time fave Ellis songs.

Who hasn't in life been a one man line in a 24 hour store?

And the picture of Jack's old man patrolling the graveyard beat!

Man, that's a great song... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:45 pm

As a former "Manilooney" I exect nothing less from Karen!

:D

Ellis Paul-iacs?

Paul-aholics?

Paul-ies?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:49 pm

EllisPaulooza in Ogunquit!!! You heard it here first!!! :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:00 pm

Karen, that is classic.

Guy sees SueEllen gassing up on her way to Maine on Aug.5th and asks:

Excuse Me Miss, What does OGUNQUIT or BUST!!! mean?

To which Sue Ellen now MUST reply:

No offense sir, but It means I'm heading to EllisPaulooza you looza :!:

Gee I crack myself up sometimes. :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:10 pm

I'll try to remember to bring a few leftover EllisPaulooza Fall 2001 bumperstickers that are still in my closet.... :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:14 pm

ok - on a roll here - can't help myself, really.

To the tune of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville:

Don't know the reason
I drove here this season
Got nothin to show but this brand new lapel pin.
It's a real cutie
Of Ellis' Booty
How it got here
We all have a clue

Tasting away again in Ogunquit - ville
Searching for my last full bellied clam
Some people say that there's a woman to blame
Well I know, It's all of all our faults.

If anyone thinks this song could be tweaked a bit
I'm all for it.
Perhaps we could get the Weird Al Yankovic inside us all
to collaborate on a final mix.

One that would sound great at a bonfire near Ogunquit Maine. :wink:
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:00 pm

I can hardly stop giggling over here! I'm gone for one afternoon....

I, personally, am fond of The Ellis Elite, but that's my own humble opinion. :wink:

And wouldn't this almost qualify as a 5th year reunion of the original Ellispalooza???

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Absolutely! :)

KarenZ

Lauren wrote::And wouldn't this almost qualify as a 5th year reunion of the original Ellispalooza???

Nance

Postby Nance » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 pm

Hi all,

Have lots of fun!!! Wish I could join you. So does Norma, I'm sure.

Perhaps you will find a replacement for "elite"...that would have to include all Ellis fans :)

"This Land Was Made For You And Me" (just love the EP version)

Nancy

mm

Postby mm » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi all
Have fun with all the festivities. I can't be there, but I'm hoping there will be posts/photos so others can hear all about it.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 pm

mm - thanks for the kind words and it should be fun. I'm guessing there will be a post or two about this show before it's all said and done. :wink:

If you or anyone else reading about this upcoming show and board gettogether feel up to joining us, please jump on in and let us know.

You guys are all most welcome. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:38 am

Monica,

So sorry you won't be able to join us, but I'm sure we'll have a few stories and pictures to share. Have a good vacation! :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:48 am

KarenZ wrote: Looks like we have:

Lauren
Bonnie +2
Sue Ellen
KarenZ
Paddy +1
PeteM
Jeff?

I might have 2 more, but they won't know until I am on vacation. I guess I'll be surprised! :P

paddyinthepub

Re: Ogunquit - Aug. 5

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 pm

KarenZ wrote:Like I was saying when I was so rudely interrupted. I'm there. Ogunquit. August 5. :o

KarenZ

The Post that launched 5031 views and counting........ :shock:

Way to go KZ :wink:
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Well, I was thinking, since I won't be there, maybe I can send a photo and pretend I've learned the trick of being in two places at one time. Or better yet, someone (ahem, Sue Ellen) can phone me while you all are together and make me feel like I'm sitting there. We can pass the phone around. Ha!

Thanks Karen and Paddy, et al, for welcoming me back.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Monica,

I think a phone call can be arranged. Do you have a request? ;)

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:17 pm

Karen,
Request as in song or request as in person who makes the phone call? Hmm, or if the person making the phone call is singing requested song?

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Oooo - I like BOTH!!! (BTW, welcome back, Monica/mm - I recognized your handle - and smiled - immediately!)

Wendy, Jela, Richard, forum at large (that means you Rebecca) - the same goes for you: pictures for the table and requests are welcome!!!

~Lauren

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:45 am

oooh, thanks! I'll have to think on that. :)

We'll be seeing Ellis on Monday night at Slates (got the tickets already!), so won't be feeling too deprived -- except of the company of all the board-members :cry:

oh yea, and I'll be watching for that lapel pin on Ellis's guitar strap..... :lol:

and welcome back Monica!
-wendy

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am

Thanks Wendy and Lauren! I have been trying to read the posts when I can. It's great.

In terms of the song/phone call/discussion board group gathering, how about Ellis singing requested song on the phone then passing the phone around??? Think that could work???? Just sayin'. Now THAT would be pretty darn cool.
As far as requests, Speed of Trees, Maria, Time, you know, a ltttle ditty like one of those...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:59 am

Monica,

Yes...I was wondering if we should call you during a particular requested song. ;) Thanks for giving us several options. :)

Wendy! So glad you'll be able to get to the Slates show! :)

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:06 am

I never thought of during the show! Very cool. Though you'd have to be careful not to get Sue Ellen started giggling in the middle of it.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 am

I'm voting for "EP-Heads" you know, versus "Ed-Heads"

...and I know Monica is dying to hear Ellis sing "Delta Dawn;" But give us a back-up request Monica, in case Ellis can't remember that song.

...and I am NOT a trouble-maker, just prone to inappropriate laughter, or laughter at inappropriate times.

mm

Postby mm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 am

Well, Sue Ellen, I can't possibly think of any other song now that that one is stuck in my head all day. I know, that's what friends are for, right? Hee-hee.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm

omg - shakin gray matter here - Ellis does do a version of Delta Dawn. He and a couple others - maybe Chris And Don at Tractor Tavern did a tongue in cheek twangy version of this song and it was too, too funny!

I think once in life is enough tho, right :?: :lol:

Is that my anti - request :?: As in please don't play that song! :P

I'd much rather hear Ellis cover Cannondrop than Tanya Tucker.... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Would love to hear Connondrop live....since I never have. :wink:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:48 am

Are we up to date on a definite head count for Ogunquit and Jonathan's. I may have an extra ticket for the show so if anyone needs one let me know.
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 pm

Well I'm going and I bought my ticket
~Lauren

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 am

Ogunquit weather for Saturday, Aug. 5, 2006 (according to the Weather Channel):

Sunny
High of 77
Sunrise 5:37am
Sunset 7:59pm
High Tide 8:02am & 8:14pm
Low Tide 2:01am & 2:02pm

Does it get any better than that?? And Bonnie thinks she's got it made in the Bahamas! :lol:

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”