Avagadro's Number, Fort Collins, Colorado 9/12/08

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

AndaleOrbea

Avagadro's Number, Fort Collins, Colorado 9/12/08

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:31 am

Greetings from Fort Collins!

Just time to make a quick post before I have to leave the hotel to meet up with family. Elaine and I are here doing our best to report back on yet another Ellis Paul Road Trip. Lots of fun. And included in the fun was Flynn, Darryl Purpose and Derf Green (local percussionist/congo player).

Just going to jump into set lists and I'll edit my post later when I have more time to talk about the show's highlights.

Flynn's set:

1. The Answer's Not Enough
2. American Wake
3. New Song - Flynn's thinking about calling it something like "Don't Believe Me When" - I got the chorus written down and I'll post it later.
4. Human
5. Heat of the Sun (w/ Ellis) by request from your's truly
6. Be Careful What You Wish For

Flynn Encore (Flynn was surprised that the audience wanted an encore from him opening - no surprise from those who no his music though)

7. Emerald Dream

Ellis Set:

1. Hurricane Angel (ON GUITAR!!!!!) :shock:
2. Maria's Beautiful Mess
3. Alice's Champagne Palace
4. Jukebox On My Grave
5. Anna Lee (acoustic in audience with two versus now!!!)
6. Blacktop Train (acoustic in audience with Flynn!!!)
7. Let It Be (with Flynn - totally awesome - but more to come later...)
8. The World Ain't Slowin' Down (with Derf Green on Percussion)
9. 3,000 Miles (w/ Derf Green)
10. Martyr's Lounge (w/ Derf Green)
11. I Lost a Day to the Rain (w/ Darryl Purpose and Derf Green)
12. Waking Up To Me (w/ Derf Green) complete with three versus!
13. Road Trip (with Flynn! UNBELIEVEABLE! and Derf Green) dedicated to someone's birthday :D
14. Sweet Mistakes (with Derf Green)
15. Kiss the Sun (A Song for Pat Tillman) (with FLYNN!!! and Derf Green)

Encore:

Ellis' version of Let It Be with Flynn and Derf Green complete with ad-lib lyrics calling for Obama and McCain - clearly Obama won over the crowd here.... This was the jazzed up version of Let It Be that was played in Vermont a few weeks ago. More on this later too.

Gotta Run.....

Love you guys.
Dean and Elaine

p.s. Ellis could use a can of portable air here. He was a bit winded but sounded awesome as ususal.

p.s.s. It was my b-day a few days ago and a little birdy told Ellis and he kindly dedicated Road Trip to me. How very thoughtful of Ellis and the little birdy... 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Avagadro's Number, Fort Collins, Colorado 9/12/08

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:50 am

Dean and Elaine,

You guys ROCK! :P Thanks for the report!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 am

Dean and Elaine.......on the road again? How lucky are you guys? Wow! Very cool beans! :D

Thanks so much for the report from the road.....look forward to more..... :wink:

The addition of Derf Green on percussion has certainly piqued my interest....how cool is that? 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:08 am

Dean and Elaine - a belated thank you for your posts - it's great reading the reports and another road trip so soon after Vermont??? I am jealous!

Jela

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Dear Jela [and Richard]:

My brother lives south of Denver and my Mum came up from Utah, so I couldn't pass it up and planned the weekend around Ellis' shows and the Bronco football game. The fact that Ellis and Flynn were going to be together was too much... We just couldn't pass up that opportunity either. Plus it was someone's birthday week :oops: , so we just had to do it.

While at the Fort Collins show, we got a copy of the WERS cd with Hurricane Angel (from Schubas, in Chicago), Once Upon a Summertime, If I Could Catch the Rain, Dusty, Road Trip, etc, two interviews and a sound check where Ellis comments about Rachel again!!! Sings about cutting her hair, how she likes to wear orange and how her wearing orange reminds him of Florida in a citrus-y kind of way - he's so funny :lol: Unfortunately when I went to buy more copies of the WERS disk in Denver, they were all gone. :cry:

I really feel like I should expand my reports because I got them out in such haste, but I haven’t taken the time to get more thoughts together and written down.

Dear Karen and Paddy:

Thanks for your props! Can’t wait until the next show – Ellis is coming to Michigan next month and we hope to see the fall colors in the U.P. [Upper Peninsula] of Michigan.

Hey Paddy: have you heard of Derf Green or is it the part about having percussion backing up Ellis that piqued your interest?

Talk to you guys later.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:03 am

Dean

Had never heard of Derf Green til you posted about him......so yes, it was more the news that Ellis was backed by percussion for the show. I got spoiled early don't ya know. First time I saw Ellis play live he had a madman on percussion by the name of Don Conoscenti. That was Kerrvillve Folk Fest '95. Beyond that, I've seen drums behind Ellis in concert but twice more. When Christopher Williams was out on tour with Ellis and DonCon...caught them at Tractor Tavern in Seattle sometime back in early y2k.

Then of course the Boston Harbor Cruise last month...... 8)

Always a treat!!! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”