Stone Mountain Arts - Brownfield, ME - August 21, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

Stone Mountain Arts - Brownfield, ME - August 21, 2008

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:19 pm

The first night I ever saw Ellis live was a night billed "of rising stars" back in 1996 with Lucy Kaplansky and Vance Gilbert. To see them perform together 12 years later at a venue as superb as SMAC made for a perfect night for me. You wouldn't think a barn down some 3 mile dirt road in the woods of Maine would attract a crowd but it did indeed. This night also had Catie Curtis ( another Maine native) as well as Duke Levine Kevin Barry, and host Carol Noonan... They swapped stories and laughs and sang together on a few songs.. The only problem with so much talent is that no matter how long they played it would never be enough... I don't keep set lists though I know Karen did, I just know I loved every minute, every song...(even Carol's about death and dismemberment!).. I was sitting behind Catie's dad when she sang a sweet song about/for her dad that had everyone in the place either smiling or wiping a tear... I can't do the evening justice so hopefully Karen, Becky or Jela will when they get back from Vermont. If I wasn't a responsible sensible Mom there with my daughter I would have snuck away with them when they left.. maybe next time.. It was great to share the evening with some other board members, though it is never enough.. how long till New Years!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Stone Mountain Arts - Brownfield, ME - August 21, 2008

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am

Folks,

Arthur Wood took this picture at the Stone Mountain Arts show.

(L-R):Carol Noonan, Kevin Barry, Duke Levine, Lucy Kaplansky, Ellis Paul, Catie Curtis, Vance Gilbert.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Ahhh.. what a beautiful picture from a beautiful evening and venue!! And hard to come by since no picture taking was allowed. :wink: .. Must have been towards the end of the evening as Lucy looks like she is reading lyrics from a sheet that was being passed around..
Last edited by Patti on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Okay, where is the edit button when you need it... Karen I don't seem to get that option any more?? I'm signed in and can't edit my own posts. I hate to keep making spelling and grammer mistakes and not being able to fix it..

Well it seems to be available now, but it "ain't" as easy as it used to be..

:oops:

Return to “3000 Miles”