The Evening Muse - Charlotte, NC - Sept. 7, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

annieb

The Evening Muse - Charlotte, NC - Sept. 7, 2008

Postby annieb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:35 pm

I was so excited to see this show added to the tour page, as I am not going to be able to make the Attic shows this time around. :(

The Evening Muse is a venue I have been dying to check out. Jeff Black also plays there on a pretty regular basis. It's in a really cool part of town calle Noda (North of Davidson) that's got a lot of cool shops, and cafe's and galleries.

http://www.noda.org/

I'll be making a weekend of it with friends...anyone else planning on making the trip?

It would be cool to hang out! :)

Annie

Mtn Gal

Re: Charlotte, NC The Evening Muse 9/07/08

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Annie,

I'm gonna try to make that show. That's the closest to me EP will be performing all year so I'm planning on it but it's not a done deal yet. I'll keep you posted. Will you be sporting an EP lapel pin so I can easily spot you in the crowd? If not, Karen's still got some and she sends them out really quickly! :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

annieb

Re: Charlotte, NC The Evening Muse 9/07/08

Postby annieb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Yes Mtngal!

I will definitely be sporting my Ellis pin!

It's my most important accessory! :) 8)

Hope to see you there!

Annie

annieb

Re: The Evening Muse - Charlotte, NC - Sept. 7, 2008

Postby annieb » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm a bit confused by the date of the Evening Muse Show. There is no mention of Ellis' show. According to their web-site, they are not even opened on Sunday. Their calendar doesn't even have Sunday on it. :?:

Does anyone know anything about this show? I hope it's not a mistake, as I have already gotten my hotel room on priceline, so there are no refunds. I'm coming up from Atlanta and meeting friends from Durham. If anyone has any info on this, I would appreciate it. I've sent an email to the venue but not heard anything back.

Thanks in advance! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Annie........Just saw your post and looked at the Evening Muse website..... :shock:
No Ellis Paul and No Sunday Night Shows!!!
Listed anyway. Got to be a good reason. :?
Uh-Oh...the myspace page also shows No Sunday Shows.... :cry:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:28 pm

Paddy,

I just got an email from the Muse.

They said the date is booked, and tickets will be available soon.

So, I feel better now....:)

Thanks ~ Annie

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 pm

That's great news annie. I called Ralph today and he seemed sure the date was correct so looks like it's a go despite no Sunday listings on their web site. Maybe they're opening on Sunday just for EP!

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:01 pm

New Update: The Evening Muse confirmed tonight, as Annie said, that Ellis is playing there on Sept. 7 and they updated their web site today to include his show. They also told me that tix were now on sale but when I went to book online, no such tickets were available so I called the ticket agency and the very nice man told me to call back Monday, that they should be available by then. Annie, I'm gonna be looking for ya! :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Nice goin gals.... :) I see the date up on the Evening Muse site. 8)
Evening Muse myspace, too? :P
Ellis Paul in their top friends area? :P

Street Team R-E-P-R-E-S-E-N-T
Word! :lol:

Have a great time gals.....looking forward to hearing all about it. :wink:
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Got my tickets today! Still can't order them online for some reason but they are available by phone. Don't delay Annie! I'm looking forward to meeting you! :D

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm going to call them right now!!

Thanks MtnGal! :)

Looking forward to meeting you too! :)

Annie

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:23 pm

First off, Annie, it was so great to meet you and Jerry and your friends! I hope y'all had a great time in Charlotte and enjoyed NoDa. It's a such cool little area!

Well, last night was another fantastic performance by The Man! And what a great venue the Evening Muse is...small, intimate, nice staff, excellent sound system...all of which made for a most enjoyable evening.

Here's the setlist:

Hurricane Angel
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Alice's Champagne Palace
Take All the Sky You Need
Let it Be
The World Ain't Slowing Down
Once Upon a Summertime
Kiss the Sun (by request)
Waking Up to Me (WOW!)
Ballad of Chris McCandless (by request)
**Break**
Nothing Left to Take
Jukebox on my Grave
Walking After Midnight
Home
Martyr's Lounge (by request...mine!)
God's Promise (I never tire of that story!)
Anna Lee
Sweet Mistakes (by request...thanks MJ!)
Encore: If I Could Catch the Rain

What really struck me last night was how much better Ellis gets with time. I didn't think he could sing his own songs any better than he usually does but man, his voice was amazing last night. Some of his high notes gave me goosebumps (Take All the Sky and Sweet Mistakes especially) and I'm certain I wasn't the only one!

I brought a friend who was a newbie and another who met us there and I'm proud to say, they now consider themselves members of the EP fan club! :D

Here are some photos I took:
MtnGal's album
Last edited by Mtn Gal on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks MtnGal! Mr. Paul is like fine wine, no? Better with age? ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:38 pm

You got that right! :D

I belive they say the same about us! :wink:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks for the report and photos from the Charlotte show, Mtn Gal. 8) It amazes me, too, to hear Ellis' voice getting better and better with time. I mean I would still enjoy his live performances if the case were reversed, but it's certainly to our advantage that it's aging so well. 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey MtnGal!! So great to meet you too!! Also, thanks so much for keeping the set list. I was keeping one too, but it was dark, the light was bad, and my pen was not working, so I was not sure I was getting anything.

So, my two cents......great show!! And yes, I agree Ellis sounds better and better everytime I see him. He said the Attic show was great, and yes, he had already heard the mix, and was going to be releasing it as a live album!! YEAH!! I know they must be excited at the Attic as well! Cool!

What comes through for me everytime is his humor. I love his humor!! We got there early, mostly because we had run out of shops to shop and cafe's to eat in and galleries to browse. So...the Muse was open, it was 7:00 and I thought, well lets go in, get a seat and grab a drink. These places have a hard time making any money and I try to drop as much food and bev money as I can. Gotta support the team!! :D So, as I said it was early, but Ellis was not there yet, and Joe (the owner) thought that was a bit odd, but did not seem worried. To make a really long story a bit short, Ellis had his watch on Mtn time, I guess, and I think he was a bit disturbed to get there and see fans already there. For one of his 'sound check' songs he sang a cute little 'ditty' about "The fans arriving early for the folk show" it was really funny, and when he was done, I asked him if it was PC these days to mock the fans..... :wink: 8) :D I think he got a kick out of that.

Later on in the show, he pulled out a new guitar that was a bit on the small side, and I said something like 'isn't that cute' and he took offense in a good natured funny way.....'it's not cute.....it's BAD ASS'!! LOL! So I was mocked and chastised all in the same night! :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: It was funny, he really has good interaction with the audience!! I think it was three of those songs that he did unplugged, which I love!! Also have to mention how sweet the sound was on 'Let it Be'!! Made sure to compliment Joe on the way out.

I loved the venue, loved as always meeting fellow fans, MtnGal, you are cool!! MJ, if you are reading this, loved meeting you as well!! Chime in some day when you have time!! We would love to have you! With the job you have (so jealouse) I'll bet you have tons of great stories.

Off to catch up on some sleep now. We had logistical nightmares getting to and from the show, but not to worry!! It was soooooo worth it!!

Take care and thanks as well for the pics MtnGal!! :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Awesome Annie....thanks for the pick me up this evening! :D
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Hey Annie,

You know what I totally forgot about?? Fan pix!! It occured to me throughout the evening to take some but I didn't want to interrupt conversation and before I knew it, it was 1:30 am and I was back at home! You know what this means, don't you? We'll have to meet up somewhere else sometime! :D I've always wanted to check out Eddie's Attic so I just might head out your way some day! :wink:

Sorry 'bout that...would have been fun to have those memories too!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks AnnieB and Mtn Gal for the reports! It's always fun to hear about fun that others have! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Hey MtnGal,

I thought the same thing afterwards!! I wish I had gotten a group pic! :(

As it is, I only got three of Ellis. I wish I had been prepared to snap when he showed his tattoo!!! That was coooooool! 8) :D

So, yes, we have to get together either here in Atl or in the Mtns soon!!

I'll be up in Dec for my annual pilgrimmage for the Christmas Jam. If you find your way down to atlanta give me a shout and we will definitely get together!

Take care ~ Annie

Return to “3000 Miles”