Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am

I think this sounds like an awesome idea and I hate that I'm gonna miss y'all by a few weeks! I come home to MA every year around the 4th of July so when you're planning the 2009 gathering, please see if that works for ya! I would love to meet you all, especially under such ideal circumstances!! :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:56 am

Ok I am thinking of going, but if I go alone..will you guys be there for support..I am not shy, but also dont want to be wandering around a boat alone.

Ellen :lol:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:45 am

Ellen - book your ticket now! Of course we will all be there for support - it's going to be great fun and we'll be one big happy family aboard the boat.

Look forward to meeting you.

Jela

PS had an email from Lyn this week and it looks as if she's going to make it too - this party is just getting bigger and bigger!!!! Wonderful.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:12 am

Ellen,

I won't let you wander around the boat alone. :)

KarenZ

fairydust wrote:Ok I am thinking of going, but if I go alone..will you guys be there for support..I am not shy, but also dont want to be wandering around a boat alone.

"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:46 am

Ellen,
This is one big welcoming community of good souls. In person, Karen is a saint, (I know her well!). Becky and Jela and Richard are as kind as can be and lots of fun; Monica R is always laughing and Patti is a sweetheart. Susan and Bonnie and Lyn are smiling kindred spirits with big hearts. Paddy I will meet then! Jimmy P is bringing the wine slushy machine.
I am also bringing a couple more friends.
So feel welcome....we'll all mingle and make sure you feel part of a great community; we'll have to find a way for you to let someone know where and who you are. Super folks to be around.

Monica M.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:52 am

Strong strong strong probability we will be there as well ! Too much fun to miss.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:56 am

YES, Virginia there is a Santa Claus! :D

KarenZ

PotatoPicker wrote:Strong strong strong probability we will be there as well ! Too much fun to miss.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:03 am

A busy Santa Claus, but hey everyone ! Have missed you all - too many things going on in the outside world right now. But I think August 15 would be a wonderful chance to catch up ! Not to mention hear some good music, have an adult beverage or two, and watch people debate whether or not they need another Dramamine..... :shock:
Jeff

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:15 am

KarenZ wrote:YES, Virginia there is a Santa Claus! :D

KarenZ

PotatoPicker wrote:Strong strong strong probability we will be there as well ! Too much fun to miss.

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas.....in August. :D

Welcome aboard the boat Santa and all others...... 8)

This is gonna be fun!!!

Ellen, believe you me....and Monica M....you'll be among friends! :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 am

Folks,

I've edited the list of names. Have I overlooked anyone?

Patti, did you decide on Niagara Falls (or not) yet? :)

KarenZ

fairydust

Yahoo

Postby fairydust » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi All Ok I just purchased two tickets to paradise..

I am hoping that my good friend Annie B will come up for this trip..come on Annie..we can do sales calls together and have my company pay!!!

I will be there ..even if Annie does not come..

fairydust

Postby fairydust » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:28 am

Hey all

I just came back from a cruise around Manhattan..the www.fuv.org put on

It was great ..they played all dance music..and me and my date were dancing and drinking an it was alot of fun..cant wait for the Ellis boat ride..

Everyone was so great!!

www.wfuv.org

Love Ellen

Ps if you click on the website I amthe one in the Hotred dress..oohh la la

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:01 am

Ellen,

Good for you! I looked at the website but couldn't find any pictures. :(

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Ellen - I couln't find any either????

Jela

Jimmy Pollard

Postby Jimmy Pollard » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi!

Just bought 10 tickets for the Pollard/Callahan clan. We'll be boozin' and bluesin' with you all!

Is this "with band?" If so, Rad and DonCon?

See you there!!!

Jimmy

kial5870

Blues Cruise

Postby kial5870 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Hello All,

Just received an email from DonCon this morning saying that he will NOT be playing with Ellis on the cruise on August 15th.

Just wanted to let eveyone know.

Al

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:21 pm

Jimmy, I missed the update you posted a couple days ago! Yay! :D

Al, thanks for the news about DonCon. I think. :(

Karen

bonuela

Re: Blues Cruise

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 pm

kial5870 wrote:Hello All,

Just received an email from DonCon this morning saying that he will NOT be playing with Ellis on the cruise on August 15th.

Just wanted to let eveyone know.

Al

Oh poo. :(

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:22 am

Folks,

Less than a month away now! Can we add any other names to our list of attendees? :D

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 am

KarenZ wrote:Folks,

Less than a month away now! Can we add any other names to our list of attendees? :D

KarenZ

While at Woodyfest, did you hear any rumors on who Ellis' band might be? :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:43 am

Nope-a-dee-dope. :(

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:While at Woodyfest, did you hear any rumors on who Ellis' band might be? :wink:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 am

BTW folks,

Dinner is not available on board but there are several restaurants in the area. Legal Seafoods, a big favorite of visitors to Boston, is right on Long Wharf. Faneuil Hall is across the street basically and there are many good food court options there.

Boarding is at 7:30pm for the 8pm show. Pre-board party on Long Wharf at 6pm. Not sure what the pre-board party consists of. If anyone has attended one in the past, let us know! :)

KarenZ

mm

Re: Boston - Aug. 15, 2008 - discussion board gathering

Postby mm » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi all,
I'll see what I can find out about the pre-board stuff and places to eat. If there's time, might some folks wish to meet for dinner before hand? Depending on when we each get out of work that day, my friend and I may be able to join.
I will pack extra Dramamine in my bag for whoever might need it! Maybe I'll be wearing green so I match my skin tone, though maybe it will all be smooooooth that day....ha-ha.
Can't wait to see everyone, and Paddy, I'm glad we'll get to meet in person!
Monica M.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:02 pm

Monica,

That would be wonderful! Thank you! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:17 pm

Yes Monica - thanks.

Really look forward to catching up with everyone - this trip is going to be special.

Jela

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Howdy All-

I haven't been on for a while...so sorry about that.

I read your quote Karen, about needing two wine slushy machines now that Bonnie and I are on board...wilst I do love a frosty beverage...not a wine drinker, so you can go back to only one. :D I want a slushy MARGARITA! or a Guinness...I'm not too picky! :lol:
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 pm

I think Bonnie better start keeping two more "lists". One list for those who will be in line for the slushies.....and one list for those who will be doing a Bewleys. :lol:

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am

I think we may need a Dramamine list too!!!!!!

:lol:

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 am

monicar wrote:I think we may need a Dramamine list too!!!!!!

:lol:

Monica R.

What about adding the Dramamine right to the slushy machine? :P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:41 am

Great idea, Bonnie!

I'll have a wine slushy with a double shot of Dramamine please! :wink:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

the drink orders could get interesting on this cruise.....a 3 hour cruise? :lol:

can hear it now.....double tall non fat slushy with dramamine rock side dockside with a bewley chaser! :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:58 pm

It's only 18 days away! Oh my! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 am

17 days and counting....... 8)
paddy

alsparky

Postby alsparky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm

My hubby and I will be there with my sister in law and brother in law! We can't wait!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 pm

alsparky wrote:My hubby and I will be there with my sister in law and brother in law! We can't wait!

Welcome to the board!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Welcome Aboard ~ alsparky

in more ways than one! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:32 am

Welcome, alsparky! Looking forward to meeting youa nd saying hello! :)

If there are any other lurkers out there who plan to be on the Boston Harbor cruise, please do consider chiming in here to let us know. And all you regulars, don't forget to dig out those lapel pins! I'll bring a fresh supply for those that may have been missplaced. ;)

Let's go one step further and all agree to wear the favored attire of EP Devotees.... black pants and a white top. Dean, just lose the jacket from that New Year's Eve tux and you'll be all set! :D

KarenZ

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 pm

I wish I was coming to the Boston gathering, but alas, I have to wait til Vermont. Lose the jacket but keep the dicky-bow (as Flynn says)? I hope you all have a great time at the Boston show. Looking forward to those awesome show reports.
Dean

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Dean,

Drat! I keep forgetting that!

If Flynn says to keep the dicky-bow, then keep the dicky-bow! :D

KarenZ

alsparky

Postby alsparky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I was on the boards a while back, but life has been busy since my little one arrived. She takes up lots of time, but I love every minute of it. We listen to lots of The Dragonfly Races. We even took her to Wareham to see Ellis last weekend. I'm teaching her to be a groupie early! ;-)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:41 am

Anyone know about the band for this show?

a one time thing for the cruise or will there be more?
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Paddy, As far as I've heard, it's a one time thing for the cruise...Matt Hebert's band, and they are great (as well as good friends of Ellis's). No Don Con or Rad for this one.

Tomorrow I will probably be able to get the names of some restaurants near the cruise departure site for folks who have time to meet prior (and I hope I can be one of them!!), which I'll post then.

Now, the next question is whether the clothing karma genie will dress any of us alike, as seems to happen to me lately at Ellis shows with my friends!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:40 am

Folks,

Only one week to go! :shock: 8)

Jela, I have a suspicion that you and Richard will be heading to Boston on Monday.....so let's all plan to meet on the wharf around 5 or 5:30pm the night of the show. According to the rock and blues website, boarding is at 7:30pm, so that should give us plenty of time for dinner beforehand. MonicaM is scoping out a place for us. :)

Safe travels everyone! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm

We are so looking forward to meeting all the EP devotees on Friday night.....not sure when we'll arrive but will definitely stay tuned to the board talks of possible meetup places....thanks MonicaM in advance. :D

Safe travels, all!
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:14 pm

We are flying out on Tuesday arriving late afternoon and will be there at the Wharf as suggested on Friday so that we can have dinner before the boat sets sail.

Safe travels to all making their way there.........do you think other musicians have such great fans????

Only 7 days before we all meet up!!!!!

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:19 am

Hi guys....I'm really excited to see everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I am checking into several of the restaurants in the area and will post soooooon....a little later today.
I'll narrow it down to a couple and see what quick responders think, then make reservations for whoever thinks they can come.
Monica M

mm

Postby mm » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:36 am

Also, extended 10 day weather forecast: http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/s ... nav_sports

Some people have told me it's a little cooler out on the water too in the evening. You never know around here. We've also been stuck in this thunderstormy pattern for the past couple of weeks, but it looks good fro Friday in terms of the weather if that's accurate.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks, Monica! :)

KarenZ

mm wrote:Hi guys....I'm really excited to see everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I am checking into several of the restaurants in the area and will post soooooon....a little later today.
I'll narrow it down to a couple and see what quick responders think, then make reservations for whoever thinks they can come.
Monica M

mm

Postby mm » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 am

Okay:
I've scoped out some of the zillions of area restaurants and I realize that with every restaurant review list, there are opinions on either end. I've avoided the ones that seemed to have persistently long waits and also ones that seemed like they were a couple blocks away, just to keep it simple and very, very local to the wharf.

So, depending on what folks want to pay for entrees (remembering that this IS Boston), I would suggest one of 3 choices, all in apparent very close range to where the boat shoves off of Long Wharf. If there is a preference, if parties could please present an opinion by Tues or Wed, and if I could get an approximate head count (won't hold ya to it!), then I'll make reservations ASAP after that. If no opinions, I'll make reservations at Legal Seafoods, which is close and seems to be a Boston tradition.

Choices:
Legal Sea Foods....entrees between $15 to $29; seafood and other.

Black Rose Pub....entrees around $15; Irish pub, pub fare, fried and meaty things.

Oceana at Marriot (hotel restaurant) with nice views; Seafood and mixed fare...entrees $17 to 28.

Thanks!
MonicaM

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:58 am

I, unfortunately, am not going to be able to make it Friday after all.

One of my brother's, who I have not seen in 10 years, is coming home to celebrate his 50th b-day, so it looks like I'm throwing a party on Saturday. Thought I might do the cruise and deal with all the party stuff early Sat. a.m. but the more I thought about that, I decided I should probably do the right thing and spend time with my bro and get ready for the party.

Have a great time and raise a glass/take a Dramamine for me!

:cry:

Monica R.

Return to “3000 Miles”