Eddie's Attic - Atlanta - March 9, 2008

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

kilroyscarnival

Eddie's Attic - Atlanta - March 9, 2008

Postby kilroyscarnival » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:16 pm

I see two gigs listed at Eddie's Attic in Decatur (metro Atlanta), Georgia which are not listed here on the site. On Sunday, March 9, a 3pm kids' show, and (with David Jacobs-Strain) a 7pm evening show. Too bad it's a Sunday, as it means I'd have to take a Monday off work (Atlanta is a 5+ hour drive.) Not impossible, but harder than Saturday. I'm still hoping Ellis will return to Florida soon.

-- Ann in Jax, FL

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:39 am

Ann

I had noticed last week that the Eddie's Attic tour date info had 2 shows listed, although the nature of the extra show was not clear. I was going to post something about it but figured the details would surface soon enough.

I kinda thought it might be a family show added, so I'm glad to hear that the extra show is in fact a special family show for Dragonfly Races.

It is a bit strange to see Eddie's Attic off the tour dates page tonight. My guess is that it's only temporary....but what do I know? :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:54 pm

The Eddie's Attic show(s) are back up on the tour schedule page. :D

Sunday March 9, 2008.

Special "Family Show" at 3pm. All ages...songs from Dragonfly Races.

Evening concert at 730pm. All ages.... Antje Duvekot opens. 8)

Eddie's Attic and David Jacobs-Strain sites have him playing as well.

Ann,

If you make it to the show(s), a report would be great! :D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi! I'm new to the board.

I will be attending both of the Attic Shows.

I am taking my 3 year old granddaughter to the afternoon show, and then returning for the evening show.

I'll be glad to pop back in and post a review.

Anyone else planning on attending? The Attic is a great place, it's my favorite venue!!

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Annie and welcome! :)

It would be great if you would post a review! Eddie's is still one venue I've never visited, but I hope to remedy that one day! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:07 am

Hi AnnieB,

Welcome to the forum...glad you're here. :D

I was lucky enough to catch Ellis early and late, recently.

You are in for a treat. :D

Thanks in advance for your upcoming posts on these show(s).
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:58 am

YAY! I am having lots of EP coincidences this week. I *just* booked tickets to go visit my family in Georgia that weekend, completely unaware of these shows...

I'll have to get tickets!

8)

annieb

Postby annieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:27 pm

shari wrote:YAY! I am having lots of EP coincidences this week. I *just* booked tickets to go visit my family in Georgia that weekend, completely unaware of these shows...

I'll have to get tickets!

8)

Shari,

Cool!! I'll see ya there! :)

Annie

shari

Postby shari » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 am

Bonus! Antje will be there too! :-)

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 pm

I just bought my tickets at the eddiesattic.com web site. Hope to see some of you there. Eddie's has wonderful sweet potato fries. I'm going to break my diet to have some!

Peace and joy,

Ann

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:30 am

Hey, all you folks going to Eddie's! Looking forward to reports with lots of DETAILS for those of us who can only be there in spirit! :)

Have fun and have those note pads at the ready! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 pm

I will totally be taking notes :-) -- and I could not agree more on the sweet potato fries!!!

Totally looking forward to it!

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi folks,

Just got back from Eddie's Attic. Great shows and a spirited audiences. We went to the kids show in the afternoon.

The Cat Came Back
Wabi Sabi
Because It's There
Road Trip
Oh Susannah (on Harmonica)
This Land is Your Land
Dragonfly Races
The Bed Song
I Like to Swing
If I had a Hammer (acappella)
Million Chameleon March
I've Been Working on the Railroad / She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain
The Little Red Rose

There was a little boy sitting in front of us whose name was also Ellis and he was so excited to be there and hear his own name being said from the stage. It was very sweet to watch him enjoy the show. :-)

For the evening show, Antje did a short set after the opener and before Ellis. She was wonderful (as usual) here is her set list:

Penny Evans (acapella - not sure if that is actually the name)
Christian Boys
Dandelion
Hold On (with Ellis)
Diamond On Your Hand (with Ellis)
Merry-Go-Round

Then there was a short break and Ellis came on:

Hurricane Angel
Once Upon a Summertime
Maria's Beautiful Mess
Take All the Sky You Need
3,000 Miles
Last Call (with Antje - gorgeous!)
Alice's Champagne Palace (w/ Antje)
Minor Key (W/ Antje)
Untitled Song (She's History?)
Black Top Train (unplugged)
The World Ain't Slowing Down
Angel in Manhatten
Speed of Trees
Sweet Mistakes

Encore: If I Could Catch the Rain

Time for sleep. I will try to post more later. Who else was there?

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 am

Shari,

Woo hoo! Thanks for the setlists and the report! :) I sure wish Mr. Paul would respond to the question you posted in the Clarity forum regarding the title of the "she's history" (or whatever) song, to end the mystery! :)

Who was the opener?

KarenZ

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 am

Who was the opener?

His name was David Jacob Strain. He was a young guy. Amazing guitar player. Different technique. More towards the bluesey side. At first I thought I was gonna love him, but about halfway through his third song I was bored. :? So I went out to visit with Tommy the merch guy. Ellis was there hanging out.

It was my first time seeing Antje. She was amazing!! I loved the song she started with, acapella. Awesome. She has a beautiful voice. She was sitting next to me at the bar. And when I told her how much I liked her set, she shared with me that she really likes doing her set, but loves singing with Ellis. They perfectly compliment each other.

Thank you Shari for keeping the set lists!! My grandaughter loved Ellis' early show. There was a startudded crowd with Matthew Kahler in attendance as well as Caroline Herring. A good sized crowd for a Sunday afternoon, I thought. And Ellis seemed pleased. Especially after playing the previous night for 20 people in Dahlonega. I guess they had some weather up there. It was funny hearing Antje and Ellis trying to pronounce Dahlonega. I thought Ellis sounded great!! I particularly liked the way he did Blacktop Train, unplugged and coming out into the crowd a bit.

I'm sure there is more, but this was a marathon concert weekend for me. Not a good weekend to lose an hour on the clocks!!

Annie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:31 am

Shari,

Holy moly. You got an answer. Well, sorta. ;)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Annie,

Let's hope the interfering weather is behind us! :evil:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks to Shari and Annie for the setlist and wonderful recaps of the shows. I don't think I can pronounce Dahlongea either but I hope the stars align next time I'm in the Atlanta area for a one two punch starring Ellis Paul and Antje Duvekot...I'd be all over that one. :wink:

I tried to get family members to the show at Eddie's but twas not to be. :(

Life came calling with kids with the flu and others just too busy. :?

I'm wondering if Ann (kilroyscarnival) from Florida made the trip? :wink:

And I'd like to add that it warms my Ellis Paul music loving soul to hear that EP played his harmonica during the family show. :D

It's been awhile....... 8)
paddy

kilroyscarnival

Postby kilroyscarnival » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:16 pm

Oops, I forgot about checking back! It's been a busy two weeks for me.

I did make the trip. Lots of driving, and I stayed in Macon, which was less expensive and gave me a leg-up on the drive back. Got there Saturday evening, drove on in early in the morning (with the hour time loss) in time to attend Quaker Meeting in Atlanta. It's huge compared to mine in Jacksonville.

I was at both shows. I may have been the only person at the afternoon show without a kid in tow, except for the three adults Ellis singled out as a joke. I was seated at the L-shaped bar, and had a good game of peek-a-boo going on with a young lady of about three years who was in front of me. Peeped out at me shyly, then buried her face in daddy's neck. Adorable.

In the evening I was in the middle of that bar thingy, with two young couples on either side, so they were not as chatty and outgoing as I usually find at Eddie's. I had a book of poetry and did some browsing before the show. I enjoyed David Jacobs-Strain a lot, though it seems so incongruous to hear blues guitar coming from that mop-haired young feller.

I thought Antje and Ellis were nice and loose onstage and their between-songs banter was great. Loved the jokes and stories about the night before. There's something about Eddie's. It's a great venue. Wow, did Antje have that gorgeous guitar with her last spring in Florida? I didn't remember the design so I'm thinking not.

I'm so glad no one depended on me for a set list though! I always think I'll remember or take notes, then get in the moment and forget all details.

I enjoyed the evening greatly, but high-tailed it out of there pretty quickly as I had that drive back to Macon. And mama, it was COLD in Georgia Sunday morning! Scraped frost off my windshield...with a lot of force. Monday wasn't so bad. Had a book on CD for the drive, Karen Armstrong's The History of God, so it was a spiritual outing for me in several ways. The shows were well worth it, but I came back thinking that even if I'd just heard the one vocal message in Quaker meeting that resonated with me, it was worth the hours of driving and the (gulp) gas money. The sweet tater fries, on the other hand, didn't seem up to snuff. And I did a double workout Monday night to pay for them!

Peace and joy,

Ann

BillE

Postby BillE » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Could "She's History" be DonCon's "She is the Language"? It does have the line "She is History - Let her go".

Bill

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Bill,

The phrase "she's history" is in a new EP song tentatively titled "The hurt"....(but hopefully that won't be the final title.) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:13 am

Ann

Thanks for getting back to us with that wonderful telling of your travels. I've always found sweet tater fries hit and miss...so here's hoping your next attempt is a big ol' hit. :)
paddy

Return to “3000 Miles”