The Depot - Norman, OK - Dec. 9, 2007

Post messages about Ellis Paul shows here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

The Depot - Norman, OK - Dec. 9, 2007

Postby KarenZ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Folks,

I'm heading west for Ellis' shows in Oklahoma - Blue Door Saturday night and our very own BeckyG's Winter Wind series (sponsored by the Norman Performing Arts Studio) at The Depot in Norman on Sunday night. Part of the PAS' promotion for the show included this article in the Norman Transcript which included a quote by board-member BeckyG. (I think Becky kinda likes Ellis.) ;)

http://www.normantranscript.com/enterta ... _326002403

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:06 am

Folks,

I'm still stranded in Oklahoma at BeckyG's house. I was hoping to get home today, but just looking at today's flight cancellations, I'm not so sure. We're having an adventure, that's for sure. :)

Jela, you'll be pleased to hear that Rad Lorcovic drove up from Austin to play with Ellis at The Depot. Ellis commented that before the show everyone came up to him saying "Yay, Rad's here!". :) [Ellis, you know we love you too.] ;) Rad is amazing and his playing on Maria's Beautiful Mess, Jukebox, Take all the sky (to name three) are an out-of-body experience for both him and the audience.

Even though the weather was - to put it mildly - horrid, the sold-out show only had a handful of no-shows. What troopers Ellis Paul and his Devotees are! :)

The setlist:
1. Summertime - solo on piano
2. I can't catch the rain - solo on piano
The remaining with Rad:
3. Little Wood Guitar
4. Maria's Beautiful Mess
5. Alice's champagne palace
6. Jukebox on my grave
At this point one of several trains (it is a REAL depot, you know) :) passed by. Luckily, they were very polite (Ellis' adjective) trains - always passing by between songs. Ellis took the opportunity to simply start strumming his guitar and next thing you know, Rad is playing along on piano and I'm telling you they did an awesome totally adlibbed song with Ellis repeating one word - Train - over and over. It was wonderful! :shock:
7. Train Train
8. Blacktop Train (unplugged in audience)
9. snow in Austin
BREAK
10. Home - on piano
11. Million chameleon March
12. Because it's there
13. Take all the sky you need
At this point, Ellis asked for requests and before he finished his sentence our Okie friend MarieS shouted "God's Promise". I mean, she was a loaded pistol. There was no way Ellis could refuse. :) He blanked on one word in the first line, asked me for help, and I blanked too. :oops: But it was still better than going to church. ;)
14. god's promise
15. this land is your land (waltz version - awesome - crowd on feet afterwards - one of several mid-show standing ovations)
16. Minor key (Rad on accordion)
17. Lonesome Valley (unplugged in audience - Rad on accordion)
18. the world ain't slowing down - (people singing along on chorus)
19. 3000 miles (another sing-a-long crowd-pleaser)
20. calendar man (another side-splitting crowd pleaser)

What can I add? It wa a memorable 200th show! :shock:

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:36 am

Great review of the show, thanks so much, Karen!!! Sounds like another wonderful evening for Ellis Paul fans whether hearing him for the first time or 200th!!! wow...quite the milestone. 8)

Is Ellis stranded in Oklahoma as well? Peerhaps yoy could help him with the lyrics to another song.....This Old Car? :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:49 am

Dear Karen:

Thanks for the wonderful report! I think we all would have liked to have been there. How fun would Minor Key be on accordian!?! Congrats on your 200th show, too! How awesome is that? Good luck and Godspeed on your travels home.
db

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 pm

Unfortunately my seat was one of the empty ones. :cry: I really hated missing the show but I guess it was better to be safe than sorry. Thanks Karen and Becky for all the great details and making me even more depressed for not being there!! :wink: It would have been packed if the OKC people would have braved the drive. We were all sad to miss the show. It sounds like it was AMAZING!!! Hopefully we can get him back for our series - Becky rocks as our prez!!!

Karen stay safe and I hope you can get home soon. Hopefully Becky is one of the lucky ones with power!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Karen, great report of what reads like a great show and that Rad driving up from Austin in that weather, the man's a star!

Your 200th show (wow!) I knew that you'd hit 200 this year sometime and what a special place for it too - The Depot. Did Ellis do anything special to commemorate your achievement apart from asking for your help on God's Promise?

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Jela,

EP did announce (twice) that it was my 200th show and thanked me. I think he said something like I had been to more shows than he. :) He also thanked his mom and dad for being with him this weekend and I know they enjoyed themselves. They actually told me that they thought it was the 2 best shows that they had ever seen their son do. Now that's saying something! They weren't sure if they had ever seen/heard Rad play before, but I assured them that if they had, they would have remembered! :o Needless to say, by the end of the show, they understood exactly what I meant. They were amazed at Rad's talent - especially when he started playing on "little wood guitar" - a song I don't think he had ever even heard before! :shock:

Emily, we missed you and are so sorry you couldn't be there! Darn ice storm! :evil:
Will try to post pictures - including lots of shots of the ice storm - when and if I ever get home! :) Thanks for all the good travel thoughts!

KarenZ

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 pm

Yeah it was a great show, Karen I was sitting about 3 seats to your left on the front row and I tried to catch you to say hi after the last song but you disappeared in the crowd and we wanted to leave before the streets froze. Great show Ellis, congrats Karen! I've bee lucky enough to see DonCon, Antje, and now Ellis in that great space. Come back soon!

P.S. I couldn't believe neither you nor ellis could remember the word FLOWERS, :wink: I would have shouted it out but at the time but it seemed so obvious that I doubted myself even haha. No harm no foul, it was actually really funny.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Jayce I'm sorry I missed you! :( And I can't believe I blanked on the word FLOWERS either! :oops:

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 am

It's so great reading all these posts about our show! I can't believe Ellis was here during the worst ice storm in history. It's just unbelievable out with so many trees down everywhere. And still so many people are without power. I'm glad Ellis and his parents both got out of Oklahoma okay...I thought they might be here (and Karen, too!) for the holidays!
Many, many thanks to Ellis and his parents and Rad and Karen and for everyone who braved the storm and came out...this show was one for the memory books!

Becky

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Here's another article published in the Norman Transcript on Dec. 7, 2007 to promote the show. EP gives kudos to BeckyG! :)

Ellis Paul to play sold-out concert at PAS Sunday by Adam Scott

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:53 pm

That's a pretty cool piece and I'm thinking BeckyG might be feelin just a litle bit warmer today. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:57 pm

I have been saying for a long while now that BeckyG is the biggest Ellis Paul promoter that I know. :)

I only GO to shows. BeckyG promotes. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Christmas, cowboy, and all manner of hats off to BeckyG, that's awesome!
paddy

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 am

Grrrr...85 hours without power and now I find out Rad was at the Norman show! Grrrr!

Mother Nature, why must you mock me so?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:51 am

Rusty,

I feel your pain! Try to stay warm! Think WOODYFEST! :)

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:07 am

Rusty, sorry....I thought I told you about Rad. We should have braved the drive together. I didn't know you don't have power! Call me if you want a place to crash!!

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:11 am

and stay warm.....

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm

my power was restored Thursday afternoon at 12:30 after going out Sunday night at 11:30. It wasn't too bad since my stove and hot-water heater are gas so I survived okay. I'm not sure I could have lasted another night though!

Emily, I wish we could have braved it but there were a lot of accidents on the roads that Sunday night. We did the right thing even if it sucks to do the right thing.

After the rains last Woody Fest and this ice storm for the Ellis shows, Mother Nature owes us all a smooth Woody Fest in 2008 with blue skies and temps in the 70s! :)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:33 pm

Rusty,

Hear, hear! :)

Looks like you Okies are in for another blast of winter. Goodness - stay warm!

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:19 am

Rusty,
I feel your pain when life makes you miss a show you wanted to be at. I go through the same even when it's not weather related. I suppose that makes it all the more sweet when you do go and all is in line at the time.

Karen, we're getting snow again too later today in New England...barely getting past our fond gridlock memories from the other night!!! I hope when I drive home from work today, it's a bit more reasonable than the two and a half hours it took Thursday!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:29 am

Monica,

I hope you and all our friends in and around Boston and the New England area stay safe and warm!

KarenZ

Return to “3000 Miles”